Blind African Cichlid advice needed

Lydia2512

My African cichlid that lost his eyes has been kept in a tank on his own for about 3 months now and has been fine up until about two weeks ago and now he is constantly at the top of the tank flipping around and seems agitated, there are no signs of illness, the tank is only 24 litres and I cannot afford to get any larger no do I have room to unfortunately. Should I try to reintroduce him to the main tank again and see how he goes or will that make him worse? Thank you.

MacZ

That tank is on the small side. Do you do regular maintenance?

If it's blind, under NO circumstancs put it back with the others. It will be torn to shreds.

I would probably put it out of it's misery. The behaviour could very well be a sign it's going towards the end anyways.

Lydia2512

Yes I do regular maintenance and he has been perfectly fine this whole time I was just worried about his behaviour, I couldn’t euthanise him unless I know he is ill. I just didn’t know whether it was because he wasn’t happy on his own, is there anything I could put in with him for company or would everything pick on him? Thank you fo the reply!

MacZ

It doesn't need company, and any other cichlid would likely kill it.

You have a blind cichlid in a much too small tank, that is basically just vegetating along and is unable to live a normal life as it would be in danger of sustaining even more injuries and conspecifics would probably kill it.

A picture or two might help estimating whether its health is deteriorating.

Lydia2512

Sorry for the quality it’s not much help but he’s constantly moving and my cameras not great
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 13

MacZ

This is hard to watch.

Something must be wrong, so please fill out the emergency template.

I still think the fish better should be put down for its own good.

Good luck.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Lvmyfsh
Replies
Views
Mamabho
Replies
Views
Bwood22