Bleeding Hearts Hiding

wangminze

Hey guys,

One month back, I did some major changes to my tank. Finally upped the numbers of all the fish I had so they could school, added plants and fluorescent light.

Here's what in the 29 gal now:

5 bleeding heart tetra
6 peppered cory
3 neon tetra (lost some, will get more)
7 danio
2 sunburst platy

The two bleeding hearts I had before the change are full grown and the 3 more added aren't even half their size. The two were fighting before; now I don't see that anymore, but they rarely come out for their hiding place in the back to the tank. Even when I feed, only one comes up a bit, still hiding behind the wood piece I have. The rest of the fish are fine; even the ghost shrimps I added are still alive. Water parameters are good too, may be a bit ok the harder side, so I've been adding some RO water during weeklong water changes.
Any ideas what's going on? I almost feel like they are afraid of the light which is an Aqueon floramax.

Michael

aquatickeeper

They need 6+ of their own species. Not enough will result to them not schooling which will want them to hide.

wangminze

aquatickeeper said:
They need 6+ of their own species. Not enough will result to them not schooling which will want them to hide.
They did not hid before. The newly added tetras school together, so I'm not positive that's the reason. The nearest store that sells them is nearly an hour away, so it's hard to find an opportunity to go. And sadly, I did get 4 of them when I went there... Online shipping is too expensive. Any other reasons likely reasons? Thanks.

By the way, I managed to give my glofish to petco; not sure that was the best choice but I don't think, like you said, it was a good idea to keep it any longer.

aquatickeeper

Not sure, maybe Anders247?

It might be that they lost interest in schooling due to the fact that there isn't enough

wangminze

I'm not even sure if I should be worried. They just sit there in the back together and do nothing all day.

None of them are too active now, maybe because it's 8 pm.

Anders247

I would rehome the neons and just get more bleeding hearts, since you already have danios. 3 mid-dwelling school is too many in this size tank imo.

As far as the hiding goes, you really need to stop adding RO water, unless you need to. This can be harmful to the fish, as it will cause pH and hardness swings.

wangminze

I test my water with a strip a few hours after a change to make sure the parameters are normal. I've used RO water for a while because the GH was around 150ppm. I just tested and my pH is between 6.5 to 7 and GH around 80. What about those parameters? I should probably test my tap too....
My danios are almost always at the surface. I feed them once a day, but they look hungry often. Other times, there're just chasing each other at the top.
Nonetheless, I do agree that my stock needs some changing.

Anders247

A GH at 150 ppm is fine. Mine is almost twice that and my fish are fine.

wangminze

Ok then I will just use my tap. Thanks.

aquatickeeper

Anders247 said:
I would rehome the neons and just get more bleeding hearts, since you already have danios. 3 mid-dwelling school is too many in this size tank imo.

As far as the hiding goes, you really need to stop adding RO water, unless you need to. This can be harmful to the fish, as it will cause pH and hardness swings.
Yeah, schooling fish tend to need more space because they're usually active. A minimum of 2 schools is enough for a 29 gallon.

Anders247

aquatickeeper said:
Yeah, schooling fish tend to need more space because they're usually active. A minimum of 2 schools is enough for a 29 gallon.
Maximum, you mean?

aquatickeeper

Sorry, meant maximum.

wangminze

I will try to find time to get more of them, and hopefully they will feel more active. Thanks.

aquatickeeper

And remember to rehome the neons

wangminze

Yes plan to start a new tank. I will be much more careful with the build this time. Hope to have a heavily planted tank > or = 20 gal and add a diy yeast co2 system.
I hope to add a diy system to my current one too to get the plants growing better.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom