75 Gallon Tank Bleeding Heart Tetras

TwinsFan

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Two days ago, I added 4 bleeding heart tetras to our 75 gallon tank, which has nine porkchop (or glowlight) rasboras.

The bleeding hearts are clearly loving their new surroundings. The tank has two large (artificial) floating plants as well as artificial sword plants and artificial grass plants and has several pieces of orange-brown-colored sunken wood (from Africa, via our neighborhood fish store). There are large areas of the tank in shadow, and plenty of places to hide; but the bleeding hearts are just as likely to swim in the open, together, as they are to hunker down in the back.

Last night, with the assistance (very limited assistance) of my 5 and 2 year-olds, we fed the fish some frozen brine shrimp, and the rasboras and bleeding heart tetras were wildly enthusiastic.

When I purchased the bleeding hearts, I was concerned they might be overly shy; but in this tank, they are not. They shoal together, but not exclusively; they split up, come back together, and split up again.

Thus far, the bleeding hearts seem oblivious to the porkchop rasboras.

A couple other things that have surprised me: they spend the majority of their time in the bottom quarter of the tank, although they do explore the entire tank, from top to bottom; also, I assumed they wouldn't eat the floating food, but would wait for it to sink; the first couple feedings, this was true; but now they come rushing up to the top feeding rings and assert themselves along with the tiny rasboras.

It's early, but they are a delightful addition to our newbie tank. I look forward to adding more of them when the time (and water conditions) are right.

Last edited:

TwinsFan

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you. I cannot impress upon you enough how amazingly helpful this site has been. It is truly a treasure.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yeah, the mods and members of this forum are great. My experience here has been really good too.

TwinsFan

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Uhmmmm. Is it typical for two bleeding hearts to... I don't know how to describe it, but it's almost like they're... dancing... or... Okay, I'll attempt to describe the action: they swim in a circle together, but at an odd angle... and then they... stop swimming in a circle: they seem to be "flirting". Is this a typical bleeding heart tetra behavior? Obviously, I've never had bleeding hearts before. Also, I'm not sure which are male and which are female.

Last edited:
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom