Bleeding heart tetras colour changing

Discussion in 'Bleeding Heart Tetra' started by cmck83, Jul 8, 2015.

1. cmck83

cmck83 Valued Member Member

Right my fellow aquatic loving friends, I have 5 bleeding heart tetras in my tank and to of them have a goldie/brown tinge on the top half of their body. Now here's my question, due to my baby girl being born last week I missed their weekly water change. Yesterday I noticed that the goldie/brown tinge had completely disappeared... Fish are still active and feeding, water parameters were all spot on

Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 20

So I changed the usual 40% water change

Woke up this morning and the goldie/brown colouration is back [​IMG]

What causes this? I'm not worried about their health just curious more than anything else

2. MJDuti

MJDuti Well Known Member Member

hmm, I've had bleeding hearts in my first tank. They are gorgeous fish once their colors start popping. Remind me to post a picture later (may be one in my profile). I had them for about a year before I had to get rid of them, but never experienced this coloring. I'm curious though.

3. PuffPuff

PuffPuff Well Known Member Member

i have read that fish color changes from time to time depending if they are stressed, some become darker. for example i used to have a green spotted puffer, when i got him through mail he was brown instead of green and the next day his color came back to a bright green. thats all i can think of. stressed fish chang colors.

4. OP
    OP
    cmck83

Just out of curiosity, why did you have to get rid of yours? Mine are probably my favourite fish in my tank... Specially at feeding time haha

You may be right puffpuff, the only stressor I can think they've had this week is, that there has been an unusually high volume of visitors in the house this last week due to our new arrival. The seem to have coloured back up nicely though.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2015
  5. PuffPuff

usualy my fish have a tendency to get happy around me, i see them on a daily. so if i miss a day of seening them, they just look very depressed and colorless. not so vibrant. glad i could give my opinion on your question here.

6. OP
    OP
    cmck83

Yeah thanks it's certainly shed some light on it for me. My fish are the same always very social when I or my misses go to the tank. But tend to freak out when "strangers" go near the tank which I found quite interesting haha

7. PuffPuff

Yeah, so weird that fish can actually recognize the hand that feed it. Fish aren’t boring as many people say!

8. OP
    OP
    cmck83

You're right there mate, I've only been in the hobby a few month and I'm actually addicted... My better half has been looking for fishkeepers anonymous meetings for me to go too haha

9. Geoff

Geoff Well Known Member Member

I have no experience with bleeding hearts, but I just wanted to congratulate you and your family on your new little girl!

10. OP
    OP
    cmck83

That's very nice of you Geoff, thank you very much

11. MJDuti

MJDuti Well Known Member Member

Long story short, I had to get rid of mine because our big tank broke from the bottom. Luckily my wife saved everyone while I wasn't home. However, we didn't have another tank suitable for them. Since I forgot to post the pic, there is one in my profile if you go there and click on the photos from my first tank/26G bowfront. They were awesome fish by the way and I would do them again. Can be a little nippy at times and aggressive during feeding, but never had any serious issues. I remember them grabbing half a veggie wafer from my pleco and just swimming around with the whole thing in their mouths, trying to take it from the others. I also like how they have a more robust body than most tetras.

As far as fish changing colors. It happens a lot. I've had patterns change, sometimes this is due to stress but not always. They'll brighten up when wanting to breed. Some blend in more to their surroundings. While others just change with maturity. Certain fish change more than others. My bleeding hearts took awhile to brighten up and had a decent diet (not as varied as what I feed now), plus were in a school of 5 if I recall. Their elongated fins really add to their appeal, with lots of highlighted coloring. Seriously check out my picture. It's the only way to truly show them some justice.

12. OP
    OP
    cmck83

I have just changed sand from a black sand to a light coloured sand so maybe that could be a factor. I have 5 of them and the smallest of the 5 thinks he's a great white haha. That was good that you wife was there to rescue your fish. I've only got a 64ltr tank but I've been given the go ahead for a 240 haha

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice