Bleeding Heart Tetras and Freeze Dried Blood Worms

SubservientHeart

How do you feed the freeze dried blood worms to bleeding heart tetras if that kind of fish stays low to the bottom of the tank? I put a couple of the worms in but those suckers floated. I kinda poked at the one of the worms to help it sink (it did) and as it did one of my glofish took it! The glofish didnt even eat it.. it just spat it back out. (My bleeding heart did eat it when the food was spat out.) I don't want to have to poke at the worms every time to feed my hearts. I just recently got a new bleeding heart and that fish actually swims around and makes his way to the surface when I put flakes in. (the older heart waits at the bottom to scavange the flakes that sink down). So hopefully my newer heart will eat the worms when I just drop them in the tank. Do you think this is just their personality? Am I feeding these worms wrongly?

Also I usually feed my fish only the commercial flakes but how often should I feed my hearts the blood worms? I feed my fish twice daily (6am and 10pm)

JRC3

I would only feed once a day. Look for New Life Spectrum "Small Fish Formula". They are the best but harder to find locally. If that isn't available then look for some HikarI Tropical micro pellets. Both brands float but sink easily and are high quality food that won't muck up the tank.

Freeze dried bloodworms are low in nutrition and may puff up after a fish eat them. I bought them years ago and quit using them because the fish didn't like them. If you want to occasionally feed bloodworsm get the frozen kind that actually goes in the freezer.

flyinggogo

U can get thd kind of freeze dried worms that come in cubes. Just cut the cube to size and press it against any part of the glass you think they will eat from.

SubservientHeart

JRC3 said:
I would only feed once a day. Look for New Life Spectrum "Small Fish Formula". They are the best but harder to find locally. If that isn't available then look for some HikarI Tropical micro pellets. Both brands float but sink easily and are high quality food that won't muck up the tank.

Freeze dried bloodworms are low in nutrition and may puff up after a fish eat them. I bought them years ago and quit using them because the fish didn't like them. If you want to occasionally feed bloodworsm get the frozen kind that actually goes in the freezer.

Thanks for the tip, I'll ditch the freeze dried worms. I did have a betta which I fed hikarI pellets. Are they the pellets you were talking about?
I will start only feeding once daily too, thanks for that correction.

And flyinggogo I'll look into those cubes if those pellets don't work out.

JRC3

NLS

Hikari

I don't know why so many manufacturers recommend to feed 2x daily. Even quality food makers do this. I guess there is a fine line between quality and selling more product.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom