bleeding heart tetra identification confusion

weiji

I know that scientifically there are 3 kinds of bleeding heart tetra which include bleeding heart tetra, lesser bleeding heart tetra and flame-back bleeding hear tetra. but here in China it seems there are also another two kinds of bleeding heart tetra we are able to see in the market. one of them is called "green-back" bleeding heart tetra, the other one has been called small bleeding heart tetra.

the confusion that I am having is with the "green-back" bleeding heart and the normal bleeding heart tetra. I have seen s of the normal bleeding heart tetra on the internet as well as with my own eyes at the local markets. for me it seems that a normal bleeding heart tetra doesn't have its back covered in a green-yellow-ish color where, it is how the "green-back" bleeding heart got its name.

so what I wonder here is if the "green-back" bleeding heart tetra is the normal bleeding heart tetra or is it just a variation of the normal bleeding heart tetra?

thanks!

RedSolace

I've never heard the term green back bleeding heart tetra. I think maybe they are just referring to the normal standard variety but individuals with the most vibrant green color, normal bleeding heart tetras can often be seen with a slight greenish/yellow tint on their back like this

But some individuals are greener than others, perhaps they picked them out for looks.
Is this what they look like?

weiji

RedSolace said:
I've never heard the term green back bleeding heart tetra. I think maybe they are just referring to the normal standard variety but individuals with the most vibrant green color, normal bleeding heart tetras can often be seen with a slight greenish/yellow tint on their back like this

But some individuals are greener than others, perhaps they picked them out for looks.
Is this what they look like?
thanks for the reply!

I do agree that it could be a variation of the normal bleeding heat tetra with a rather prominent green/yellow-ish back color. but I am not quite sure if it really is the case. there are two pics here showing how it looks and how prominent the green/yellow-ish back color shows. the one in the pic is not mine, but the one I have got seems to have the potential becoming like the one in the pic.

the one in the pic still does look kind of different from the one in your pic I suppose? although it is obvious the male one in your pic is a rather mature one since the back of its has already bent quite much.

the female one of the kind I have got also does look a bit different in terms of the body proportion compared to the female one in your pic. but mine is a rather young female so that could be the reason.

RedSolace

So sorry for the late reply!
But yes, they certainly do look very bright, more vibrant green than most I've seen.
I think we're on the right path though, maybe they have been selectively bred for vibrancy and the slightly different body shape is just a side trait of the bloodline?
Either way , very interesting ! and very gorgeous fish.
Perhaps the beginning stages of a new strain even! there are always breeders working on new and different variations. But I think without specific grouping, for now I would just say yes, a variant or strain of the normal bleeding heart.

chromedome52

Interesting coloration, though I don't believe it would be more than a color variation. Could be a specific population, or aquarium bred mutation. It is attractive.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom