Bleeding heart tetra and hard/alkaline water (8.2)

hssea

Would a group of bleeding heart tetras acclimate themselves in the community tank where water is alkaline and hard ?? My well water in ph of 8.2 and I've read that bleeding heart tetra prefers more acidic water.

I've also got a rescue black skirt tetra (he's all by himself)...wondering if a get a small school of bleeding heart tetra or serpae tetra if he would join them.

Aquarist

Good morning,

I merged your back to back posts.

This post will bump up your thread

Thanks!

Ken

hssea

thank you

hssea

Q: bleeding heart tetra

Hi, I know that a lot of fish can acclimate into living in higher ph. My LFS has some bleeding heart tetras, that I would really love.....my ph is steady 8.2...would that be pushing it ?? Also I've got a lone black skirt tetra I took from a friend who didn't want him--do you think he would school with the bleeding hearts ???

Eienna

You're ok on the pH, especially if your LFS uses the same water you do. Just do a nice slow drip-acclimate, I think. You MIGHT want to use a little peat moss at first, though, depending on what value the pH is at your LFS.

He probably won't school with them because they are too different, but he might follow them around a little.

hssea

Eienna said:
You're ok on the pH, especially if your LFS uses the same water you do. Just do a nice slow drip-acclimate, I think. You MIGHT want to use a little peat moss at first, though, depending on what value the pH is at your LFS.

He probably won't school with them because they are too different, but he might follow them around a little.
I hope he hangs with them a little. Sometimes I think he's lonely

soltarianknight

Why not get more Skirts before bleeders? Dont forget, bleeding hearts are a large fish. No less then 55gals for them.

Aquarist

Merged Threads.

Ken

troyvsc

soltarianknight said:
Why not get more Skirts before bleeders? Dont forget, bleeding hearts are a large fish. No less then 55gals for them.
I thought max size was 2-3 inches on those guys. I got 4 in a 20L based on what I thought was max size.

troyvsc

I have asked and been told that the ph isn't as much of a factor specially if the LFS uses the same water. I have 4 bleeding hearts and they are doing great just a little shy until it becomes feeding time.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom