Bleeding Betta Tail

Erskine

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I just noticed this morning that my usually blue betta's tail had some red spots on it. I took him out of the tank and put him in a gallon tank, and I took the ornament which I thought could have scratched him out of the other tank. How long should I keep him in the gallon tank? Should I be worried about any diseases?

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm sorry about your betta's tail.
If you're sure it was the plant and it's been removed, it would be a good idea that he be in his tank.
Is it cycled? Keep the water pristine with frequent water changes, extra stress coat, garlic guard and vita-chem should help him heal up.

Good luck!

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning Erskine,

Sorry to hear about your betta. Are you sure it's bleeding? If the betta is a marble betta it may just be changing colors. My boy Wriggley (photos in my profile) started changing colors and turning red and it scared me at first. I thought the fish may have been developing Hemorrhagic Septicemia. Then I realized that Wriggley was just changing colors after talking to other members. (Wriggley is a marble betta).

Ken

Erskine

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thank you, as far as I know he is a crown tail betta. He has always had two small red fins trailing across his stomach but now there are also some red streaks on his tail.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Erskine,

Are you water parameters 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and under 20 nitrates? If you have those readings then I would say your fish is changing colors. If you do have ammonia in the tank then Hemorrhagic Septicemia may be what is going on.
Ken

Erskine

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Last time I checked I had perfect readings. I think my problem was that one of my ornaments (lava rock) which partitioned off the bettas territory was way to rough and it hurt his tail. I have him in a quarantine tank now with a bunch of slime coat conditioner and I am doing frequent water changes. Soon I will go to the store to get some garlic guard.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
When was the last time you checked the water parameters? And do you use a liquid test kit, or test strips?

Also, if the fish isn't diseased, I think moving him into a 1 gallon q-tank (I assume unfiltered and uncycled) is a bad idea, especially if he's moving out of a tank with "perfect" readings. If he doesn't have a disease, then it isn't like he'll get the other fish sick.

But also, most members here do not recommend bettas for community tanks.

Erskine

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ok so I moved the betta back into the 10 gallon. I have been using a liquid test kit. Are test strips better? Do you think my Betta will heal on his own without any medecines? I took out the ornament which cut him.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

The liquid test kits are much better than the paper test strips. Strips can be inaccurate and difficult to read. Most recommended is the API (liquid) Master Test Kit.

Keep his water as pristine as possible. You can give him food that has been soaked in garlic juice (see link below). Garlic helps to boost the immune system, not just in fish but humans too.
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/minced-garlic-in-a-jar-just-an-example-for-those-needing-it.62705/
You can also use Garlic Guard from the fish store but buying garlic in the grocery store (minced in a jar) may be a lot cheaper.

Vita Chem will add extra vitamins for your fish. You can add it to the food and directly into the tank.

Keep his water nice and warm around 80 degrees. Also keep an eye on secondary infections (if it gets worse) Hopefully it won't though

Please keep us posted and best wishes!

Ken

Erskine

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I am feeding him a couple pellets soaked in minced garlic and water noew. Thanks for the link!

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Glad to help.

Ken

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hope he's feeling better. My brothers betta has red streaks through his fins too. He is a turquoise, greeny, goldy boy with red ventrals and so the red has continued in streaks down his fins, hope this is like your boy too!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads