Bleaching Question

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well now...I had put a heater (among other things) in a bleach solution to clean it...and somehow managed to completely forget about it. So now it's been like a month and I'm wondering if it still could be safe to use. My main concern is if bleach breaks down into anything toxic over time. Also, if it will have like soaked into the heater to the point where it can't be totally removed.
Phew, I'm keepin you all busy with all my questions lately. ;D

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Just mix some water with a LOT of dechlorinator and soak it in there for a few days and it should be okay. Your master test kit should have a test for Chlorine and you can use it on the water when you are finished soaking the thing in the dechlor water. The general rule is that if it does not smell of bleach it is probably okay. If it still retains the bleach smell after using the dechlor for a few days then it is probably not going to be okay.

Rose

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think it should be fine if you clean everything well with plain water then soak over night with dechlorinated water. Chlorine usually evaporates in about 24 -48 hrs anyway.
Carol

OP
0morrokh

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Wow, replies already! You guys are the greatest.
I did not know that the chlorine evaporates. That makes me feel a bit better. I will soak it in tons of dechlor. I do not have a master test kit...I just bought my tests separately (Am., Ni., Na., and pH) so I don't have a chlorine test. However I have bleached things several times before so I will just have to go with my sense of smell to judge if it is ok. My only concern had been that it might be bad to use due to the time it's been in the bleach.
Yay...I just saved 30 bucks! ;D

New Threads