Bleaching Aqurium Plants Help

1. oodelally

oodelally Valued Member Member

I’m setting up a new 15 gallon tank because my African dwarf frog has chytrid and I’m tossing the substrate, the decor, and filter. Except I have spent probably $100 on plants for my heavily planted tank.

If I give them a bleach dip would that able to kill off the chytrid so I can put them in the new tank? I’d hate to get rid of perfectly heathy plants.

Edit: I’m also concerned that the fish that share the current tank will bring spores into the new tank. I have shrimp, snails, and a betta. I was thinking at least giving my betta bettafix in a temporary tank for a few days. I don’t really have enough room for two tanks after I treat the frogs.

2. bitseriously

bitseriously Well Known Member Member

If u can go 3 months without frogs, I think that’s the max time chytrid can survive without a host. So even if it’s in the tank, if u go 3 months without any frogs, the tanks/plants should be clean for any future frogs. Fish/inverts don’t get it. If I’m incorrect in the timeline, pls chime in any and all.
    Doesn’t answer your bleach question, but it’s an option.

3. OP
    OP
    oodelally

oodelally Valued Member Member

Oh awesome I was wondering if the virus would survive without a host! That’s definitely the better option, and I can quarantine the frogs and fish for that time too in case the fish can be carriers. Thanks!

Can I leave the plants rootless the whole time or do I have to plant them in something?

4. bitseriously

bitseriously Well Known Member Member

The fish can't be carriers per se, but the water they're in can retain spores for up to 3 months without amphibian host. I fact checked what I wrote above and it stands up, but I did find a research paper that demonstrated that some crayfish can act as viable non-amphibian hosts for chytrid Chytrid fungus Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis has nonamphibian hosts and releases chemicals that cause pathology in the absence of infection. So make sure no crayfish in this setup. The same study found NO support of fish (mosquitofish in this study) as reservoirs/carriers.
    For plants, it'll depend on what types. If they're water-column feeders, leaving them un-rooted would be fine, but if they're root-feeders like vals, swords or crypts you're tempting fate. Also, most plants simply do better if they're stationary, and prefer not to be moved about. So even if you're not rooting them, anchoring them in place somehow would be desirable. And if you're going to that trouble, might as well plant them.