Bleach sterilizing plants?

mollywog

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know which kind of aquarium plants will tolerate the bleach and water sterilizing method?

I will be doing a 1:20 ratio of bleach and water. I've done it in the past with my anubias nana and they were totally fine. I just got a shipment of marimo moss balls, java fern windelov, bucephelandra black pearl, anubias hastifolia, anubias nana, and mini bolbitis. I'm worried about bleaching the marimo balls and the mini bolbitis. Anyone have advice or experience cleaning these plants? Will they be okay?

I'm also going to add some spiderwood to the tank. I've cured it and it's ready to go, but will my plants and driftwood add bioload? Should I be worried about my filter's capacity? Thanks in advance! :)

Willj626

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The Marimo won't like the bleach bath, I clean them by soaking and squeezing them repeatedly in fresh dechlorinated water. The other plants, especially the Anubias will be fine in a quick bleach bath from my experience, no more than 15 seconds is what I do and then I rinse them off with fresh water. The plants will actually lessen the bioload on your filter. Hope this helps!

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The buce will probably also not like it :)

New Threads