Bleach for Driftwood

Discussion in 'Driftwood' started by MatthewM, Aug 12, 2015.

1. MatthewMValued MemberMember

So i have my massive piece of tannin spewing mangrove root. ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1439435353.513856.jpg
    And being sick of the tannins, i asked a guy what to do. He told me boil it. But i have nothing large enough. A 55 gallon trash can wouldn't even fit it inside. So he said bleach it. He said 1 gallon for every 5. So i built a rock pool thing. And did that. 6 gallons bleach. And 30 gallons water. ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1439435438.280074.jpg
    I did it for three days. Now i have it out. And it had a quarter inch of white film on it. He said to just let it dry for two days and it will all evaporate out. I feel skeptical now, and i wish i asked before. Because it cost a lot and its a great piece. And i feel like i ruined it. It still has a weird texture and is an odd color. No smells of bleach. But i feel like just letting it dry wont get rid of the bleach. What do you guys suggest???? My first idea is to soak it again in just normal water. And then soak it in water with prime. Then let it dry entirely again. Will that work? I want to be sure. Absolutely sure.

2. BluestreakflWell Known MemberMember

Id soak it in water with prime several times. Also if you have an airstone you can run in there too, the aeration should help really gas off any chlorine. Id soak in hot water first, then prime water changed out every day for a few days.

3. CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

I really wouldn't have soaked it in bleach, as wood is porous you don't know how much of the bleach it has absorbed or whether there's any left in it that may leech out.
    I would do as Bluestreak says & soak it for a week or so changing the water every day

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice