Bleach Dip?!?!

1. W

Waylan New Member Member

I have my 2.5 gallon tank with some anubias. It was all covered in alge so I was wondering if doing a bleach dip is Okay? And if so, what are some of the precaution I should take in mind. How can I tell when the plant is fully ready to put in tank after the dip?

2. Lollipop0912

Lollipop0912 Valued Member Member

I’d invest 3 dollars in a nertile snail (because they can’t reproduce in freshwater) instead of doing a bath.They will clean your anubias perfectly. The snail will add a relatively large bioload to your tank. Does it have any other occupants, filter, heater?

3. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

I would take it out and put some hydrogen peroxide on the affected leaves leave for a min then rinse of under the tap and put it back.

4. OP
    OP
    W

Waylan New Member Member

How long would i have to rinse it for?

It has a sponge filter with a mini aqueon heater. I have a betta in the tank so would the betta hurt the snail?

5. Five 97

Five 97 Well Known Member Member

I usually make a bleach/water solution of 1 capful of bleach to 2 gallons of water. For thick/broad leaved plants (e.g. anubias), I do 3 minutes. And 1-2 minutes for more delicate/finer-leaved plants.

6. Lollipop0912

Lollipop0912 Valued Member Member

No. It should be fine. I had 2 snails with 2 different bettas. They never showed any aggression.

7. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

Only for a minute. I prefer hydrogen peroxide to bleach as it is safe for your fish if it gets in your tank.

You can also dose it directly to your tank but it will cause troubles with some plants so i dont recommend doing that.

8. babiimoore

babiimoore Well Known Member Member

i got a mystery snail and the minute i put him in my betta flipped him over and started to try to eat him. i rehoused him in another betta tank and that betta constantly nipped at him. it depends on aggression i guess, also the size of the snail. just be careful