Bleach Bath For Dead Rock?

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by Chris Osborne, Apr 10, 2018.

1. C

Chris Osborne New Member Member

Hey all, have you ever done a beach bath for your dead live rock to remove organics before putting it into a tank? Also, if I'm setting up a new system do I need to soak the dead live rock before putting it into the main tank to cycle?

2. Lorekeeper

Lorekeeper Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't bleach it, as most LR is pourous and tends to absorb liquids pretty well.

If you're setting up a new system, don't even worry about cleansing the rock. I'd do a good rinse in dechlorinated water, and add it to the tank. The dead organic material will serve as an ammonia source while the tank cycles.

If it's an established system, I'd leave it in a bucket of saltwater with an airstone or powerhead for a few weeks, while doing water changes every few days to remove organics from the water. Should make it safe to use in an established reef, without any chance of a large cycle.

3. OP
    OP
    C

Chris Osborne New Member Member

Perfect answer, thanks!

4. Jesterrace

Jesterrace Well Known Member Member

If you are talking about dry rock then I would definitely rinse well in RODI first (I wouldn't bleach though), some dry rock like Pukani is loaded with phosphates right out of the box.

5. HarryPotter

HarryPotter Valued Member Member

I have used bleach, it’s no problem if you make sure to let it evaporate.

6. Jesterrace

Jesterrace Well Known Member Member

I would only recommend bleach for rock that has been in an established tank, for stuff that hasn't been in anything but a box, a solid RODI rinse should suffice.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice