Blaze is recovering from fin rot.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well I did not mean not to post this but while I was trying not to post a lot I was also dealing with a sick little betta. Blaze started to show some symptoms of finrot late last week and we started him on The Jungle Labs Tank Buddies but the second day of the treatment I got up to a lot less finny baby so we discontinued the Tank Buddies and went directly to the big guns since I do not have Maracyn2 on hand. I started him on penicillin which I know blows it for me using it again on him but one more time, but his fins were disappearing fast and I skipped some steps. I guess I have been hearing about the finrot cases on the forum and wondering what is causing all this problem. The tank was cycled, the water is changed in his tank 50% twice a week and he is a clean little fish. Plus he never sleeps on the gravel, always in the bridge. Well I took him away from his beloved bridge and put him in the hospital tank or q tank which meant taking little Nate out and adding him to the big tank WAY early. So then I decided to move Nate into the new 12 gallon with the Cories and when Blaze gets out of his hospital tank he will go into the heavily planted tank that the Loaches and Tuck are in.

The penicillin has pretty much done its job. He still has a couple of blue tips on his forefins, but the analfins are beginning to regenerate already. He still has some days to go with the treatment but he seems to be doing okay so far.

Rose

Asinity

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hope he's back to normal soon. I keep worrying about something like this happening to Atlantis, but I really don't know what to look for when it comes to a sick betta, I've never had one get sick on me before.

Atlantis sends Blaze flapping little fins and wishes him a quick recovery.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hope everything keeps getting better. Have you figured out how he got it yet?

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm glad to hear he is recovering. Do let us know if you figured out what caused it.

LZ Floyd

Valued Member
Reaction score
It sounds like Blaze had a pretty aggressive bacteria attack.  Good to hear he's on the mend. 

I am also curious as to all of the finrot cases going on.  If it can happen to you, Rose, it can happen to any of us.  I'm just wondering what we can do to reduce the number of cases and their severity.

Anyway, I hope Blaze can regenerate his lost tissue without any problems.

Mike

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes I would too as my fish haven't gotten it yet. Rose can you buy meds for diseases like this and store them for a timme when your fish might get them and you can't get to the store?

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm glad that he is showing signs of recovery. Hopefully it will continue to do that. Natalie

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I keep a regular Betta Pharmacy which contains a lot of meds but the problem is that some of the Heavy Hitters like penicillin can only be used a couple of times on fish and are only available in 100 caplet size containers and have a shelf life when they expire.  I keep them as I am a bit over cautious but they would be something to share occasionally to not have them go to waste.  The ones like the Jungle Labs Fungus Clear Tank Buddies are some different as they come in smaller sizes as do many of the Aquarium Pharmaceutical meds which can be bought in cards of 8 tablets/capsules.  (Triple Sulfa, E.M. tablets ~ same as Maracyn, Furan-2)

To answer your question directly, yes, it is not only advisable but great to have at least one type of remedy for each of a few fish conditions on hand so you can at least begin treatment immediately when you find one of them sick before it gets out of control.  I would not worry about ICH remedies as the very best solution there is still just to raise the temperature and keep it there for 14 days. (85 degrees)  But to have at least one fungal infection remedy and one antibiotic and a good remedy for the treatment of parasites is a very good idea.  Just try to get meds that treat as many things as possible so that you are not spending money on new meds every time something comes along.  (Maracyn, MarOxy, and Maracyn2 are a good family of meds that cover the three types and you do not need to worry about using them together as they have been tested in combination)

I also strongly suggest that a person have at least one book on fish health that has a lot of PICTURES in it so you can compare the symptoms of the present problem to pictures of a fish that actually has the condition. I use the Manual of FISH HEALTH by Dr. Chris Andrews, Adrian Exell, and Dr. Neville Carrington, it is full of pictures and gives the basic causes and sometimes treatment recommendations of the various conditions. It is by no means the only resource that I use though.

Rose

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok thanks, how often do you think we should replace them.

Hows Blaze doing.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Each medication container or card will have an expiration date on it. Most medications are good for a period of a couple of months past the expiration date as this is the last date of sale. Each one will be different and you should always go by the recommendation on the label or container.

Rose

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks a lot

How's Blaze doing, better yet?

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
He is doing some better, thank you. He will at least swim for me now. He acted too embarrassed before to show himself. ALL THOSE FINS ... He is top heavy.

Rose

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom