Bladder snails

SuperSword48

So I have a 20 gallon with bladder/pond snails and when I set it up I got a piece of driftwood from a store tank. The lady that sold it to me rinsed it off and poked off some of the eggs so I thought it was okay. It was not, I’m not making that mistake again lol. I have a few questions about bladder snails.
When I gravel vac the sand, some of the snails fall underneath the sand, will that kill them? Secondly the gravel vac does not get the shells of dead snails, should I leave them or remove them manually.
Thirdly is there anyway to get rid of these snails once In the tank, and should I?
And finally, I’ve been having a recent explosion of their population, can hornwort shedding be a source of that?

Slapp

The snails will eventually burrow out of the sand.

Leave the old shells, they eat them to get the calcium or they'll eventually dissolve.

If you want to is the main thing. Buying a loach and putting it in would kill them all. A yoyo or a dojo are both about 30-40 gallon fish. They love eating snails. Any loaches smaller will only eat tiny snails. Don't use pesticides like copper cause it'll cause an ammonia spike and sometimes doesn't even work.

The only reason I can think of to get rid of them is if they outcompete algae eaters in the tank. Otherwise, they are ravenous and invaluable cleaners.

That could be the cause, but they are always exploding.

Upvote 0

carsonsgjs

Bladder snails can be tricky to get rid of once introduced. You can certainly control their population to the point where they can be beneficial though.

overfeeding is one of, if not, the main cause of a snail population increasing. If theres food for them, they will multiply. You can also manually remove them and keep on top of it that way too.

Upvote 0

SuperSword48

The snails will eventually burrow out of the sand.

Leave the old shells, they eat them to get the calcium or they'll eventually dissolve.

If you want to is the main thing. Buying a loach and putting it in would kill them all. A yoyo or a dojo are both about 30-40 gallon fish. They love eating snails. Any loaches smaller will only eat tiny snails. Don't use pesticides like copper cause it'll cause an ammonia spike and sometimes doesn't even work.

The only reason I can think of to get rid of them is if they outcompete algae eaters in the tank. Otherwise, they are ravenous and invaluable cleaners.

That could be the cause, but they are always exploding.
As much as I’d like a loach, my tank cannot get any more fish and is too small. I mainly use these snails as my algae eaters because the only other bottom feeders I have are Pygmy cories. Thank you for the reply though it was very informative!

Upvote 0

TheWalkman

I say leave them. My tanks with bladder and rams horn snails are completely alage free

Upvote 0

fishnovice33

I agree with the leave them in. I love them. They really help keep things clean. In fact, they are my favorite cleaners even over my SAEs. Your feeding is directly related to the population. You could drop a couple slices of veggies in and attract some to get rid of if they get completely out of control then ease up on feeding.

I have had snails die under my soil substrate but it takes a really really long time. I’d dig them up if you can do it doesn’t soil the water when they do but it’s not a big issue.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Mariah98
  • Snails
Replies
Views
V1K
  • Question
  • grrushgirl
  • Snails
Replies