bladder snail reproduction rate?

Discussion in 'Snails' started by yuuto, Jul 10, 2015.

1. yuuto

yuuto Valued Member Member

I managed to pick up a snail when I bought some plants a while ago and since I love snails I decided to keep him. I put him in a spare 3.5 gallon and hes super cute and fast.
    I was wondering if I needed a heater though and how quickly they reproduce? I got him about 2 weeks ago and I wanted to know how long it takes them to lay eggs and how long they stay in the eggs.

2. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

They don't need a heater. Bladder snails reproduce quite quickly, don't know exactly how long until they lay eggs but it could be soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    yuuto

ok do you know how many snails survive past the egg stage? also if it's legal to put extras in the lakes? I love them but I don't want a tank full of thousands and I don't really like the idea of destroying them

4. AquaticBrandon

Don't know exactly. But last time I had only 3 small snails and in a few weeks I ended up with hundreds. I wouldn't just dump them in a lake, eventually the population goes down.

5. OP
    OP
    yuuto

do they just die from starvation or something? or do they slowly not breed anymore

6. AquaticBrandon

Once there's enough of them, they stop breeding. I had hundreds of them in my 10 gallon tank and now I barely even see any. They probably all died out or something .

7. F

Fishfinatic Valued Member Member

Do not throw them into the lake, rivers, streams, etc. It throws the entire ecosystem out of whack and can cause serious harm to other wildlife living in that area

Not to mention it is illegal and you will be fined.

Also, you'll learn to hate pest snails soon :p

8. Bluestreakfl

Bluestreakfl Well Known Member Member

They truly can overtake a tank. I threw like 5 in my 55g when it was almost done cycling to start eating the fuzzy funk off the driftwood. I now have probably over 150 of them and weekly I remove a good 30-40. I found the best way to dispose of them is a quick dip in some very hot and extremely salty water, they just fizzle out. I then throw them in the compost bin, so in the end they go back to the earth. These things are poop machines, so imagine hundreds of tiny particles of snail poop swirling around anytime something moves in the tank. When my pleco decides he wants to bullrush to an algae wafer he sends the stuff flying all over the place. A few of these guys doesnt add much bioload to the tank, but when you get up in the double or triple digits, its basically equivalent to having an extra school of fish, and that will mean more waste, more nitrates, and more frequent water changes.

If you want a cool snail thats easy to keep and wont breed in freshwater, check out Nerite Snails. They can only breed in brackish water but live fine in fresh. They are amazing cleaners. Mystery snails are also pretty cool, however they can breed in freshwater.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice