Bladder Snail Problem During Cycling

TamiR

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I am cycling a 5 gal tank, was planning on a betta once the cycle is finished. I put plants in it and of course, I have bladder snails. I dont see very many large ones, but tons of itty bitty baby ones everywhere. So my question is, can I get an assassin snail or two to put in there to start taking care of the problem while it is still cycling? Or are there any other suggestions? Thanx in advance.

mdjrnc

Valued Member
Reaction score
Honestly if you dont mind the look the snails will be a life saver. They help to shift substrate if its sand and they help to clean up anything your betta wont eat. I would leave them but if you are adamant about getting rid of them I believe a assasin snail will work. Only do one assasin snail though. You dont want to buy two and then have them breed and have a overpopulation of assasin snails happened to a friend of mine.

AngryRainbow

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Removing them right when you notice them will usually take care of the problem. After getting past the initial wave, if you remove all the snails while they're young they won't have time to breed

TamiR

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Honestly if you dont mind the look the snails will be a life saver. They help to shift substrate if its sand and they help to clean up anything your betta wont eat. I would leave them but if you are adamant about getting rid of them I believe a assasin snail will work. Only do one assasin snail though. You dont want to buy two and then have them breed and have a overpopulation of assasin snails happened to a friend of mine.
I actually dont mind the look of them, but my concern is they seem to be exploding and I dont want the tank to be overrun with them. Won't they just keep breeding if I dont control them?

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Bladder snails are a pest from what i understand. I think you have them confused with trumpet snails that will burrow and stir the substrate. as long as you dont ovrfeed you should be ok

TamiR

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Removing them right when you notice them will usually take care of the problem. After getting past the initial wave, if you remove all the snails while they're young they won't have time to breed
There are so many teeny tiny ones, I dont know if I could manually remove them...I use a magnifying glass to look around and there are so many babies!

Bladder snails are a pest from what i understand. I think you have them confused with trumpet snails that will burrow and stir the substrate. as long as you dont ovrfeed you should be ok
I havent fed anything..I dont even have a fish in there yet. They must be living off algae and plant debris while the tank is cycling.

mdjrnc

Valued Member
Reaction score
Lol nah I have Amazon puffers and loaches that love these snails. I am very familiar with my trumpet snails and pond snails aka bladder snails. Bladder snails stay small and will only hold a population at the amount that they can have in the tank. They will keep your tank algae free as well and eat any dieing plant matter and leftover food. They will stir the surface of the substrate slightly nothing like the trumpet snails who bury but mine will dig down a little bit and just turn over the surface layer of sand.

I actually dont mind the look of them, but my concern is they seem to be exploding and I dont want the tank to be overrun with them. Won't they just keep breeding if I dont control them?
Just keep the snails. They give you something to look at and are pretty interesting. These snails will not completely over populate and will only have enough snails to live in that tank. They will also eat every bit of algae you have and ensure you have no decaying plant matter. All in all I have these snails in all my tanks except for my puffer tank which I keep the trumpet snails in bc they can hide in the sand. I love snails. And the betta should eat some of the baby snails for sure.

TamiR

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So while I appreciate the responses, nobody actually answered my question. The question is, can I put an assassin snail in the tank while it is still cycling? I am at the nitrite spike stage right now. Thanx in advance.

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes you probably can but i would wait until your cycled to be safe.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So while I appreciate the responses, nobody actually answered my question. The question is, can I put an assassin snail in the tank while it is still cycling? I am at the nitrite spike stage right now. Thanx in advance.
I agree with @smee82, it would be better for the snail for you to wait until the tank is cycled. He may not do his job or get sick in less than optimal water conditions. I would get rid of the bladder snails. They can over populate and will contribute to the bioload of your tank. If you do get an assassin snail, once the bladder snails are gone, you'll have to be sure the assassin gets enough food.

TamiR

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I agree with @smee82, it would be better for the snail for you to wait until the tank is cycled. He may not do his job or get sick in less than optimal water conditions. I would get rid of the bladder snails. They can over populate and will contribute to the bioload of your tank. If you do get an assassin snail, once the bladder snails are gone, you'll have to be sure the assassin gets enough food.
Yeah I already got him...his name is John Wick the Assassin snail lol. I did have to take him out and keep him in a jar for a bit because my levels got really high and he didnt seem to be doing well. But I did some water changes today and got the levels down so I put him back in. I am keeping an eye on it. Thanx for the advice.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah I already got him...his name is John Wick the Assassin snail lol. I did have to take him out and keep him in a jar for a bit because my levels got really high and he didnt seem to be doing well. But I did some water changes today and got the levels down so I put him back in. I am keeping an eye on it. Thanx for the advice.
If he continues to do poorly in the tank, he would be fine in a large jar covered with cloth rubber banded over the top (so air gets in, snail doesn't get out). You'd need to do 50% water changes every few days with water treated with a dechlorinator, and you'd need to feed him but he'd be fine like that until your tank cycles.*I love the name! One of my Mystery snails is 'Mark Suckerberg' and another one is 'Nom'. My grandkids named them!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom