Bladder Snail Eggs

1. tunafax Well Known Member Member

So my free surprise gift buy-1-pant-get-a-free-snail Bladder Snail is laying (probably) eggs all over the tank.

The snail is maybe a month old and is the only snail in the tank. 99% sure it hatched in my tank as well.

Can the eggs hatch? I read the word "self-fertilize" and died a little, but I'm not sure if it applies to bladder snails.

(please say no :nailbiting: omg)

2. FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

Nope, they are hermaphrodites, which means that they are both male and female, but still need two of them to reproduce.If you look around more closely, you will probably find another one...

3. tunafax Well Known Member Member

It is a 1 gallon tank. There is only 1 snail, I am definitely sure. :nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting: Any chance they can lay infertile dud eggs?

Omg.

4. Natalya Well Known Member Member

I do not know if they can or cannot self fertilize but I am absolutely positive that my bladder snail infestation started with only one. Remove it ASAP, remove those eggs that you can find, keep removing the snails that pop up. Unless you want to end up with couple thousand of them like me :(

5. FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

Thousands usually means you are overfeeding... I used to have hundreds, and then cut down to one feeding a day, with 1-2 fasts a week, and now I have less than 20 (90% of them are in the filter, since thats the only place where they have food).

6. IndigoTJo Member Member

I had a pond snail creep in on a plant in 55g unnoticed. A month later I had tons. 2 months... Ugly. When they hatch they are the size of the end of a pin... Anyways remove that sucker asap. Remove any you see.

7. tunafax Well Known Member Member

:( Ok.

It is thankfully contained to 1 gallon; the contaminated plants never touched any of my actual tanks.

Can I get an assassin snail? Will that help?

8. Natalya Well Known Member Member

But they dont have anything to eat in your tank yet :)

9. FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

Adding a assassin snail will probably not help, because theres no way for the assassin snail to get to the bladder snails in the filter, and the bladder snails will probably reproduce faster than the assassin snail can eat them (assuming you are actually feeding the snails).

10. tunafax Well Known Member Member

I was feeding it algae wafers, it grew up so well. :facepalm:

It is my pet. I feel so betrayed.

11. IndigoTJo Member Member

Assasin snails reproduce as well. Ypu could try just one and see if it takes care of it, if you have it isolated can you just starve that side/area?

12. Natalya Well Known Member Member

If it is on its own in the tank, then can you perhaps just let it go? Have a tank full of bladder snails?

13. tunafax Well Known Member Member

I can just dump out the whole tank, I only have 1 shrimp in there that I will move, and a nice driftwood I can boil.

How do I sanitize the plants?
    And do I have to kill the proud mama? :(

....... I could lol.

Problem solved? I'll just keep getting rid of the eggs.

How do I get some of my plants out of there without spreading it to another tank? I have to move my 1 shrimp also.

14. Natalya Well Known Member Member

plants you gotta do a bleach dip. I don't know how to do it, id search on here. I used to dip my plants in alum, but then read that alum only works on microscopic parasites, not on snail eggs, so I cannot recommend that.
    But it depends on your plants if they will survive bleach dip, i guess most plants will either not notice it or regrow, but some might actually die

15. FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

Wouldn't recommend a bleach dip, since it sometimes results in a dead plant.

16. tunafax Well Known Member Member

Thank you all. I will toss the eggs now & hopefully I don't come back to 1000 snails after the long weekend.

The plant I'll save is cabomba, then get my shrimp out, then go from there.

@FishFish221 what are my other options?

17. Natalya Well Known Member Member

well then read on alum dips...they recommend prolonged exposure for killing snail eggs, like overnight...and it can also kill plants...some were heavily damaged for me

18. FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

Maybe keep the plant in a container with only dechlorinated water and an air stone? That will starve the snails, and allow you to take any out that are still living in there.

19. tunafax Well Known Member Member

I just removed 8 clutches. :facepalm: Something is telling me it's way way way too late...

20. Natalya Well Known Member Member

I'm afraid that won't work, they Will eat plants if there is nothing else :)