Bladder snail eggs in filter!

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by yuuto, Jul 17, 2015.

1. yuuto

yuuto Valued Member Member

I was cleaning out the pump of my goldfish tank because it's been making funny noises lately (grinding and whirring) only to find upwards of 30 snail egg spots. I rinsed out the pump and some snails came out. I've only seen 1 snail in the actually tank but I removed it and wiped the glass.

is there any worry? can they get into or over the filters and into my tank if I don't wash them out well enough?

2. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

My assumption would be they are already in your tank at some population level if they are in your filter. After all there is a pretty solid chance the ones in your filter originated from the tank at some point.

3. OP
    OP
    yuuto

will putting salt in the tank help them die?

4. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

Lol, I'm sorry, I don't mean to laugh but the phrase "help them die" just gets me.

I am unsure of thresholds in salinity for bladder snails, perhaps others could advise. There are snail traps on the market as well as diy options but I would think these will control more than eradicate.

Medications may be an option as well though I have never used them for this purpose, again, I'll defer to others on that.

5. OP
    OP
    yuuto

the only thing that worries me is that I'm going away for 3 weeks on Sunday and my parents are going to be watching my fish for the time being lol I don't want them to have to deal with them

is there any fish that eat the snails small enough for the tank? (30g)
    loaches are cute but I dot have anywhere to put them when they get a foot aha

6. PuffPuff

PuffPuff Well Known Member Member

perhaps a freshwater puffer fish

7. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

You cant keep any other fish with a puffer fish, and I'm assuming the OP already has other fish in there. To the OP, I have heard gouramis eat snails, so your best bet is probably a Dwarf Gourami.

8. OP
    OP
    yuuto

how would a gourami do with a goldfish? aren't they kinda aggressive?

9. Dom90

Oh I didn't know you had a goldfish... Ok that changes everything. What's your stock list look like?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

10. OP
    OP
    yuuto

1 8 year old common who was in a 10 gallon for most of his life (I was a as a kid and I feel terrible) who's about 7-8 inches. I know he should be in a big tank or pond but a 30 is all I have at the moment and my parents don't want me getting a bigger tank. I'm surprised he lived as long as he did and I'm sure he has permanent pop eye but he's very active now and hasn't clamped his fins for a very long time :) once I get some more money I'm most likely going to get a 55 during petcos $1 gallon sale
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437157182.982387.jpg :O

and 1 kinda deformed goldfish. she has a fantail but is somewhat slim bodied but has scoliosis I guess. she's only about 1 1/2 inches and I am planning on moving her to her own 20g once I get a stand for it

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437157245.355488.jpg

I know it seems over stocked waste my filter is a 75g filter with 2 hob compartments. I've taken all the plants out so there's no where for snails to hide

11. Dom90

Ok then... your best bet is to just put a piece of cucumber or zucchini and then the snails will crowd that thing like mad. Then just take out the whole vegetable and dispose of. You may have to try quite a few tries to get them all out.

12. MightyCucumber

MightyCucumber Valued Member Member

^ Having kept 3 goldfish for a good while in my 35 gallon tank I don't think the cucumber/zuchinni would last long enough for the snails to get them, ahah. Goldfish would gobble that thing up in no time.

If you go this route, you'd have to keep the goldfish out of the tank in the process. :)

13. leftswerve

leftswerve Well Known Member Member

I was thinking to say use a bottle with cuc. in it, but GF aren't the brightest bunch.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice