Bladder Snail Breeding? Having Trouble..ramshorns Killing?

Discussion in 'Puffers' started by dartzy, Sep 11, 2018.

1. dartzy

dartzyValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +74
    I guess I’m the only one in the world who can’t seem to get bladder snails to breed much less stay alive. I have two pea puffers that love snails. I’ve ordered snails usually in large quantities, and I end up losing over half of them in a relatively short amount of time. I keep them in a 2 gallon tank with a air pump type of filter. I feed fish food, zucchini and algae pellets two or three times a week. Water change about once a week as they start to really smell.

I do have some rams horns in there as well as was wondering if the rams horns are eating the other snails? I have read that they can and will be oppertunitive feeders if they are not getting enough food. Has anyone had this issue before? Very curious if this is my problem.

Far as breeding, the snails are laying their jelly eggs but nothing hatches...

2. ValerieAdams

ValerieAdamsFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,715
    Experience:
    1 year
    I have ramshorns and pond/bladder snails in a 1 gallon and they're both breeding. The pond snails more so than the ramshorns.

It took awhile for the eggs to hatch for me but they did after a couple weeks

3. oOBlueOo

oOBlueOoWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +465
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I seem to only have good luck in established tanks. It seems like their favorite food is the algae film that grows on rocks and plants.

I don't know if it'll help, but you could try putting some rocks in a bowl and setting it in the sun to grow algae quicker. Then just place the rocks in the aquarium.

4. classified

classifiedValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +24
    Experience:
    5 years
    I currently got bladder and ramshorns in my snail tank and none will stop breeding.
    You could try giving them the greenish stuff under the gravel of established tanks using a dropper coz thats usually algae+fish poop+uneaten food and they love it keeps them happy and breeding atleast its how they are here in my tank