Blackworms & Prime

1. renthus Well Known Member Member

So, not really a question about feeding, but blackworms are a common live food so whatever, just as good a section as any.

I've been using the same colony of blackworms for about a month now, and once or twice a week I need to rinse out their water. After a couple rounds of rinsing, I always put in a few drops of prime, since when I suck them up in a pipet some of their water ends up in with my frogs and gobies. I've noticed that when I put in the prime, the worms near wear the drops land always go a little crazy for a few seconds and wiggle away as fast as they can -- A behavior they don't exhibit with plain water. It almost looks like somehow the prime is painful to them. Anyone have an explanation for this? They go back to normal after about 3 seconds, but it's just very interesting.

2. claireputput Well Known Member Member

No answer but if they are okay, I would not be too concerned. Like you, I am always curious about products that I use and reactions of living organisms be that my grandchild or a wasp.
    Not sure if anyone knows the answer but perhaps it is due to an alien matter-not water but prime?

3. renthus Well Known Member Member

My theory has been that perhaps the worms are really porous and the prime attacks the ammonia in their bodies, causing a burning sensation. I highly doubt that it's just some stray ingredient that they react to. Anyone know anything about worm bodies?