Blackwater wanted!!

1. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

Hello everyone, I loovveee the look of Blackwater tanks and mine was very dark for awhile but after water changes and everything the driftwood no longer does it for me. I have a high KH and pH level so my pH never moves. All I am interested in is the look. I want my angel tank to be dark and have the tea like color again ( maybe even darker this time ). I saw the black water extract by tetra but am kind of sceptical. What are your guy's thoughts on that stuff? And if that's not a good idea what can I use to get my water, well, black! Thank you :p

2. Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

Peat moss will also do the trick. From what I understand you stuff the peat moss in your filter in a media bag. I think you have to trial and error for a while to get the right amount of peat moss. I think eheim also makes peat pellets for this reason. May have to google them.

3. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Alder cones or oak leaves will also give the blackwater effect, & if you can collect them locally they're free.
    I always collect them in the autumn & store them in a cool dark place then I have a years supply.

4. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

Thanks!! That's really helpful. Do u guys know how often I will have to change the peat moss or pellets? Or it just when the color goes away lol.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

5. Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

I don't think there is a set in stone amount of days any of the mentioned additives will last. You probably have to try it out and see.

I use Indian almond leaves in my tanks to help with a little bit of tannins and they also have anti-bacterial qualities. Good for shrimp and many breeders use to induce breeding in blackwater type fish. They will do the same.

If you go the route of collected leaves or alder cones, be sure you know where they are collected from and they are safe. No pesticides or herbicides sprayed in the area.

6. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

Thank you! And will do if I end up collecting anything.

7. Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

8. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

Cool thanks!!

I was looking at reviews on this stuff and it looks like it works for lowering pH, KH ect. But they mentioned that it didn't color their water very well. Itostly stayed crystal clear. I'm wondering if I should just stick with regular peat??

9. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I'm lucky to live in an area where I can collect without thinking about that so I forgot to add it, thanks for picking it up :)

10. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

I pay attention when collecting things anyway since I do it so much. Thanks again guys!

11. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

If you decide to use regular peat moss, make sure it is organic.

I also use Sera and or Fluval Peat in my 265g. Just a small filter media bag full of it placed in my filter or in the tank itself is fine.
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=21338

http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/filter-media/fluval-peat-granules-21oz.html

Star.gif I have moved this thread from Advanced Freshwater Aquarium Topics to Aquarium Water/Water Conditioners section of the forum.

Thanks!

Ken

12. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

Thank you!! :)