Blackwater Summer Journal

wrs2
This summer I am turning 4 if my tanks into black water aquariums! A 3 gallon cube, 6 gallon cube, 10 gallon and 20 long. Here is where I will post all of my progress!

My first change over is my 10 gallon. It’s gone through a couple hard scapes already in the 2 weeks it’s been up....

7BCA496E-563B-4B5D-B070-C353F966409A.jpeg

0DA6221B-3D4E-4F7E-9E0A-6FADD3B546F0.jpeg

4A1BB983-220C-4ADD-9F1E-FE650B27E466.jpeg

9CF43A31-A447-4D2D-95CE-8742CA075CA7.jpeg

Most current look.
Look at that tint

1B65B3AD-90DD-4A34-A29A-77D8A5C1E55C.jpeg

This is going to be an Asian themed BW with Rasbora. Maybe a small Gourami as a center piece fish.

SouthAmericanCichlids
AggressiveAquatics
Make sure to keep us updated!

Diane 007
Love it! Are you using anything other than driftwood for tannins? I use the rooibos tea to tint the water.

wrs2
SouthAmericanCichlids said:
Maybe sparkling or honey gourami or licorice could work.
Yes that was my plan, but I haven't seen sparkling around anywhere :/

I have just drift wood and alder cones, as well as some leaves for the blackwater.

I am unsure of what to do with the 20 long. I know I want Cardinal Tetras. But other than that idk.

SouthAmericanCichlids
Maybe an appisto pair for the 20 long with the cardinals. Or a Ram air with cories and the cardinals.

Pfrozen
I have 2 blackwater tanks myself :) one 10g and a 20g

My only advice is to make sure you have a steady supply of botanicals. You'll use way more than you think. I ordered a bag of 100 Indian Almond Leaves maybe a month ago and its almost used up now. It would be a good idea to order whatever you need in bulk. Oh, and Blackwater extract is nice to have when you don't have room for more litter or cones but still need to darken your tint

AggressiveAquatics
I think Ottos would look great in this tank if your interested in them

Pfrozen
Careful with the otos in blackwater. Mine are thriving in the "faux" blackwater but they won't survive if you want to do more of a "true" blackwater. If you need clarification on what that means feel free to ask :)

MacZ
4 blackwater tanks... I'm envious and having pawlowic reflexes here right now. :D Exciting thread!

AggressiveAquatics said:
I think Ottos would look great in this tank if your interested in them
Should be added far later (8-10 months in) than usual (6-8). It takes a while to build up the necessary aufwuchs. When plants have general problems growing, algae and aufwuchs will too. Starvation is the main problem. Supplementory feeding pushes TDS and EC up out of actual blackwater territory. In nature they live mostly in clearwater, where aufwuchs actually grows.

Maybe an appisto pair for the 20 long with the cardinals. Or a Ram air with cories and the cardinals.
In a 20 blackwater with little to no plants it's hard to get the structure correct for a pair. Also blackwater can't support the stocking density that is possible in clearwater. A single Apisto, a group of 6-8 cardinals or maybe 6-8 pencilfish. That's pretty much what works. Rams are not blackwater fish, they live in clearwater, which is soft, but not as acidic as blackwater. Same with many Apistogramma. The domestic classics (A. borellii, A. cacatuoides, A. macmasteri and A. agassizii) are not actual blackwater species. But A. panduro, A. atahualpa, A. nijsseni, A. ortegai... there are plenty. Or real blackwater species like Dicrossus maculatus.

My 20 is stocked with A. hongsloi (single male), 2 grandpa cardinals (won't be stocked up) and pencilfish (2 survivors of a bad batch, going to stock up soon.). For a pair of Apistos there should always be the option to separate the fish, otherwise I'd advise to keep them single.

Maybe sparkling or honey gourami or licorice could work.
Sparkles or honeys with enough floating plants or maybe a single lily, definitely. I would like to know what jinjerJOSH22 has to say about gourami in little to no-plants setups.
Licorice gourami are extremophiles, below 4pH would be a must.

wrs2 said:
The biofilm makes me drool. :D

Basil
I did not have any luck keeping sparklers in a 10 g well planted tank.
I kept losing fish and could not figure it out. I saw some chasing but it didn’t seem terrible. Finally I decided to move them to the 29 g I had set back up as a plant grow out tank. I restocked to 8 of them. There is also a mystery snail and an unknown number of ramshorns.
It’s only been 4 months but so far so good. So I personally wouldn’t try them in a small, sparsely planted tank.

StinkyLoaf
Following.

wrs2
I've kept sparklers in a 20 BW before and it was fine. I also kept croaking gourami and they did great as well. Honey gourami, not so much. They always die on me.

I also had Bolivian rams in a 29 bw tank, but when I moved them to a clear water tank they died :/ But they wouldn't be compatible with Cardinal Tetra because they like cooler water.

I bought some new wood for the 20 long today. I got a big piece of Mopani for the 6 gallon cube a few weeks back. I was thinking maybe clown killifish, but I don't think a top would work on that tank so they would likely jump.

I have a lot of seed pods and things from tannin aquatics when I had my previous BW set ups, but what I really need is more leaves. I hate that they have shipping now though lol.

New wood.
Likely will use the big piece in my 33 gallon pearl gourami tank.
Honestly, that can probably be blackwater too, but do I need to go that over kill? haha

10EB821B-8A15-4DF1-9EE8-B4D52CDF226E.jpeg

C54D9D9F-22F7-463E-8007-501F98C44A5A.jpeg

This is from the 3 gallon cue with a koi female betta.
She's meant to be in my sorority tank, so IDK if she will stay in here.
Likely a male betta will be in here.

11091ADC-C2AD-4A92-BD2C-E869FEEC7D20.jpeg

B2B863AD-6C56-49CC-86A5-1EF200AEF6BD.jpeg

6C3321D7-0C43-494A-AA1D-31EFAF30A8D0.jpeg

006CF28C-6D96-4C81-8376-5B4426B84D12.jpeg

10872C7B-4296-4410-9A00-962A64557B06.jpeg

wrs2
The 6 gallon.
Unsure on this one because the wood touches the front of the glass and I’m usually not a fan of that.
I thought maybe I’d plant this one as well, so a planted blackwater.

Also, I put a water lily in the 10 gallon.
8DDF0C9F-01A5-46E5-AD29-17B7022FD2D8.jpeg

0F2D6EBE-BE58-4AD2-A6AF-EFAC48D9EF4F.jpeg

Please ignore the mess in the background.
My filter leaked last week and I’ve been too last to clean up all the mess I’ve mad trying to clean the water off the floor lol

Pfrozen
wrs2 said:
The 6 gallon.
Unsure on this one because the wood touches the front of the glass and I’m usually not a fan of that.
I thought maybe I’d plant this one as well, so a planted blackwater.

Also, I put a water lily in the 10 gallon.
8DDF0C9F-01A5-46E5-AD29-17B7022FD2D8.jpeg

0F2D6EBE-BE58-4AD2-A6AF-EFAC48D9EF4F.jpeg

Please ignore the mess in the background.
My filter leaked last week and I’ve been too last to clean up all the mess I’ve mad trying to clean the water off the floor lol
That's going to look beautiful once its filled.. I'm a big fan of big chunky centerpiece driftwood so for me that is a perfect piece for that tank

wrs2
I wish I could put them all next to each other but I don’t have room in my stand for them. It would look nice to see them all together too.

jinjerJOSH22
MacZ said:
Sparkles or honeys with enough floating plants or maybe a single lily, definitely. I would like to know what jinjerJOSH22 has to say about gourami in little to no-plants setups.
Licorice gourami are extremophiles, below 4pH would be a must.
Personally I'm not fan, but in terms of how necessary it is I think it comes down to individual species as well as the hardscape. The larger species seem to cope better with it generally, though I think they all benefit from having a planted setup but again hard scape plays a part.

MacZ
jinjerJOSH22 said:
Personally I'm not fan, but in terms of how necessary it is I think it comes down to individual species as well as the hardscape. The larger species seem to cope better with it generally, though I think they all benefit from having a planted setup but again hard scape plays a part.
Thanks, so as I suspected.
So let's say with some floating plants and decent hardscape (twigs), what would you reckon?

jinjerJOSH22
MacZ said:
Thanks, so as I suspected.
So let's say with some floating plants and decent hardscape (twigs), what would you reckon?
Generally fine as a setup for Gourami(not sure if you wanted me to comment on a certain species or not). Most of my older setups, were pretty much done with Crypts, a floating plant(Frogbit of Hygrophilia Polysperma floated) and Wood hardscape.

MacZ
My question was generally, a friend of mine, I'm helping out, is thinking about an asian themed tank and he is as much a blackwater freak as I am, so I thought I'd ask while I'm at it.

wrs2

08BB51DF-5EB4-43C9-8A2D-05B55CBF882A.jpeg

This is my 20 gallon that will be turned I yo blackwater. Please ignore the bettas in cups above, they are moving to new tanks!
I got an apisto cacatoidis for the tank. It’s a small male. I haven’t had these in a long time so I hope he does well!

MacZ
wrs2 said:
I got an apisto cacatoidis for the tank. It’s a small male. I haven’t had these in a long time so I hope he does well!
What paramateres are you aiming for? A. cacatuoides are not a blackwater species.

wrs2
MacZ said:
What paramateres are you aiming for? A. cacatuoides are not a blackwater species.
Oh well I clearly didn’t read your previous post right. I guess he can do in my 33 gallon tank.

MacZ
wrs2 said:
Oh well I clearly didn’t read your previous post right. I guess he can do in my 33 gallon tank.
And this is not an answer to my question. ;) I meant what pH, GH, KH, TDS and EC are you aiming at?

wrs2
MacZ said:
And this is not an answer to my question. ;) I meant what pH, GH, KH, TDS and EC are you aiming at?
Idk. Lol I’m not aiming for anything in particular. Just trying to do some bio type aquariums. I never think of that stuff. Though my water is like 7.5 and with tannins the pH usually doesn’t go down.

MacZ
Ah, so all faux-blackwater. Can be interesting as well, but keep an eye on the botanicals, the decomposition works differently.

wrs2
MacZ said:
Ah, so all faux-blackwater. Can be interesting as well, but keep an eye on the botanicals, the decomposition works differently.
What advice would you give me for recreating a real blackwater biotope? For a South American fish.

MacZ
wrs2 said:
What advice would you give me for recreating a real blackwater biotope? For a South American fish.
Sure, my pleasure. :)

Real blackwater is almost completely defined by water chemistry and nothing else. What I can see is you are great at scaping and with botanicals already, so the chemistry part is all you are missing at this point.
It's pretty simple: Blackwater has almost no dissolved solids and extremely low conductivity. Best way to get there is RO water. DI works aswell, but usually still has dissolved organic material. DI doesn't remove Nitrates for example.
Readings from South American Igapó forests (one of the types of flooded forest. Igapó are blackwater, Varzea are white/clearwater) are given with TDS below 10 ppm, EC below 50µSI/cm, GH and KH below detection and pH can vary between 4.5 and 6.0. While TDS and EC are easily achievable, the pH is what many people struggle with. You need double the amount of H+ ions (this is what pH measures) to get a liquid from a pH of 6 to a pH of 5, than you would need from 7 to 6. Almost impossible to achieve without peat or pretreatment with acids (I dislike both, btw. Peat for lack of sustainability and acids due to possible instability)
Those readings are achievable in the aquarium, but not always necessary unless you want to breed cardinal tetras or something like that.
You can also just go half the way and do the readings of clearwater: TDS ~50 ppm, EC ~100 µSI/cm, GH 1, KH 0, pH 5.5 - 6.5. This is achievable easily with botanicals and some patience. It's also at those levels when plants still work, although only with a minimal dose of fertilizers, otherwise this can already be to low in nutrients and plants melt away. For just keeping and not breeding blackwater species I would prefer a setup with those readings over tapwater any day.

Now for South America you have different biotopes. The aforementioned Igapó, the there are Igarapé (tributary creeks), dry season pools, lakes, streams like Rio Negro... Each of these biotopes shares most of the water conditions, but the depths of the water, currents, the accumulation and amounts of driftwood, botanicals and detritus... all that can vary vastly.

Aquatic plants are a rarity in those waters. Most are submerged but not aquatic. Young trees, shrubs, bank vegetation... Especially to keep nutrients and TDS low it may be very helpful to use emerse plants like monstera or pothos. If you want to keep aquatic plants: Epiphytes and floaters are what you are looking for or any other plant that can cheat to get light and CO2. Water lilies for example do this with theit floating leaves. And even all those plants will need a certain amount of fertilizers just to not melt.

Above you mentioned you want cardinal tetras. You can go clearwater readings with blackwater look for those. No problem.

wrs2
MacZ said:
Sure, my pleasure. :)

Real blackwater is almost completely defined by water chemistry and nothing else. What I can see is you are great at scaping and with botanicals already, so the chemistry part is all you are missing at this point.
It's pretty simple: Blackwater has almost no dissolved solids and extremely low conductivity. Best way to get there is RO water. DI works aswell, but usually still has dissolved organic material. DI doesn't remove Nitrates for example.
Readings from South American Igapó forests (one of the types of flooded forest. Igapó are blackwater, Varzea are white/clearwater) are given with TDS below 10 ppm, EC below 50µSI/cm, GH and KH below detection and pH can vary between 4.5 and 6.0. While TDS and EC are easily achievable, the pH is what many people struggle with. You need double the amount of H+ ions (this is what pH measures) to get a liquid from a pH of 6 to a pH of 5, than you would need from 7 to 6. Almost impossible to achieve without peat or pretreatment with acids (I dislike both, btw. Peat for lack of sustainability and acids due to possible instability)
Those readings are achievable in the aquarium, but not always necessary unless you want to breed cardinal tetras or something like that.
You can also just go half the way and do the readings of clearwater: TDS ~50 ppm, EC ~100 µSI/cm, GH 1, KH 0, pH 5.5 - 6.5. This is achievable easily with botanicals and some patience. It's also at those levels when plants still work, although only with a minimal dose of fertilizers, otherwise this can already be to low in nutrients and plants melt away. For just keeping and not breeding blackwater species I would prefer a setup with those readings over tapwater any day.

Now for South America you have different biotopes. The aforementioned Igapó, the there are Igarapé (tributary creeks), dry season pools, lakes, streams like Rio Negro... Each of these biotopes shares most of the water conditions, but the depths of the water, currents, the accumulation and amounts of driftwood, botanicals and detritus... all that can vary vastly.

Aquatic plants are a rarity in those waters. Most are submerged but not aquatic. Young trees, shrubs, bank vegetation... Especially to keep nutrients and TDS low it may be very helpful to use emerse plants like monstera or pothos. If you want to keep aquatic plants: Epiphytes and floaters are what you are looking for or any other plant that can cheat to get light and CO2. Water lilies for example do this with theit floating leaves. And even all those plants will need a certain amount of fertilizers just to not melt.

Above you mentioned you want cardinal tetras. You can go clearwater readings with blackwater look for those. No problem.
Perhaps one day when I have a bigger tank I will do a real blackwater set up with the matching parameters, but now just the look haha.

I think the 20 will just be cardinal tetras, a corydora, and a dwarf cichlid.
If this was a taller tank I might have added pencil fish as well.

But your post did remind me I wanted from amazon frog bit. I need to get some of that.
Currently the tank has water lettuce, but that needs to go out to my patio pond.

MacZ
wrs2 said:
Perhaps one day when I have a bigger tank I will do a real blackwater set up with the matching parameters, but now just the look haha.
Fair enough. You know where to go for info. ;)

wrs2 said:
I think the 20 will just be cardinal tetras, a corydora, and a dwarf cichlid.
If this was a taller tank I might have added pencil fish as well.
Corydoras should be kept in groups and depending on the species of cichlid might be not a good idea. On the other hand, as long as it's only one cichlid it should work out with 5-6 Corydoras. Stay on the smaller side with them.
Otherwise solid plan. Don't do too many cardinals. 8 are a good amount for a 20. They can get quite chunky.

wrs2 said:
But your post did remind me I wanted from amazon frog bit. I need to get some of that.
Currently the tank has water lettuce, but that needs to go out to my patio pond.
Good call. Also you will find brasilian pennywort extremely versatile in blackwater setups.

wrs2
MacZ said:
Fair enough. You know where to go for info. ;)

Corydoras should be kept in groups and depending on the species of cichlid might be not a good idea. On the other hand, as long as it's only one cichlid it should work out with 5-6 Corydoras. Stay on the smaller side with them.
Otherwise solid plan. Don't do too many cardinals. 8 are a good amount for a 20. They can get quite chunky.

Good call. Also you will find brasilian pennywort extremely versatile in blackwater setups.
In 2018 I ordered Brazilian pennywort and it went crazy! Since then every pennywort plant I ever buy melts away within a week. It’s so sad lol.

Delcos
wrs2 said:
In 2018 I ordered Brazilian pennywort and it went crazy! Since then every pennywort plant I ever buy melts away within a week. It’s so sad lol.
I’ve always wanted to keep Samurai Gourami in a black water set up

MacZ
wrs2 said:
If we were on the same continent I'd just send you a bag of it. Pretty much everyone around me is suffocating in pennywort. :D

wrs2

2175BDE9-441B-49CA-960E-9FDC18ABD257.jpeg

A8AF8954-6432-4225-886A-0CB713DA5EE4.jpeg

My little Apisto friend.
Ignore the pearl danios. They’re just in here for now until I move them! I took out the mopani wood and put these sticks in, but I have to actually arrange them etc. there’s a lot a rocks in this tank and the sand too, and idk if I want to leave them or start fresh with brand new sand.

Basil
I like the sand and the rocks. It’s a great, natural look!

wrs2
The 20 gallon all scaped!
Angel is odd and the lighting sucks. Needs a lot more botanicals and leaves though.
Eventually I will take out the plants and move them to my 40 breeder.

9D73CFC3-64EB-4A77-9A4A-D3E1705FC07B.jpeg

044532B1-CE65-47BE-A8CC-296A33D38380.jpeg

75CABFD6-321E-4EBE-9E10-462BD39A5DDB.jpeg

So I got some new Corydora catfish for the tank.
WARNING DEAD FISH: This is what they looked like today in QT.
UGH. I never have ANY luck with Cory Cats.

90DBF622-48B9-4C3B-A64C-38EDEAA2155C.jpeg

A5461E62-7889-4DAE-92EE-E9000A2E8A2F.jpeg

The one living guy.
Unsure if they even would be "black water" but they are from Brazil like the other fish I want in here so I thought they would work. Ugh.

804362AF-5D74-40D1-897C-393FE344E777.jpeg

The Apisto in one of his seed pods lol. How cute!

62EA3A0B-A8E9-4D03-91F5-575C597C36AE.jpeg

40C728EE-6C9F-49E2-92DF-6E27C96E38CB.jpeg

The 10 Gallon is looking good!
I might just put a betta in here if I can't find anything else.
I have a nice koi betta, who wouldn't fit the look of a natural blackwater fish at all, but I need to put him somewhere.

3C4F15B7-A3B1-460E-9A6F-DFA70DDC0031.jpeg

0D7F6C3D-5B8E-4F41-9168-ED785C4E590E.jpeg

The 6 cube is filled and looking cloudy. Likely from the sand, so I'll give it a few days.

42A54825-9925-42BA-81A8-B28F6706500B.jpeg

The 3 gallon has the same type of wood as the 6, so I am going to change it to spider wood, as I want all 4 tanks to have a different feel to them.

MacZ
wrs2 said:
Unsure if they even would be "black water" but they are from Brazil like the other fish I want in here so I thought they would work. Ugh.
It's a Corydoras paleatus. Not a real blackwater species, but can handle blackwater parameters. Friedn keeps them in 6.0 pH and they are thriving.

wrs2
MacZ said:
It's a Corydoras paleatus. Not a real blackwater species, but can handle blackwater parameters. Friedn keeps them in 6.0 pH and they are thriving.
No I know but that’s basically all they have around here. That and the Emerald/Albino species. I am going to look at a different LFS today to see if they have any other corydoras since these ones basically all died.

2A20F91F-234E-48DC-9B9F-8AD8C77FF90C.jpeg

The one lone survivor today.
Also I do have a Pygmy Cory in the tank too. Hasbrosus I believe. I had 6 but now I’m down to one because as I stayed before, I have no luck with Cory cats! Corys, Rams and honey Gourami always die on me.

wrs2
I found some Brazilian pennywort at my LFS, but it was all melting, so they gave me one piece that wasn't melted yet. IDK what to do to save it, but I hope it will not melt.

They also have some c. schwartzi coming in tomorrow, which I believe live are also from the Amazon river basin, so they should fit with my Brazilian "biotype" aquarium.

Oh and I haven’t seen the apisto at all today. So I wonder what’s going on with him??? If he’s a goner I’ll already by out $35 on fish with this tank. Already!

MacZ
wrs2 said:
I found some Brazilian pennywort at my LFS, but it was all melting, so they gave me one piece that wasn't melted yet. IDK what to do to save it, but I hope it will not melt.
Just let it float. The more light and CO2 it gets the better.

wrs2 said:
They also have some c. schwartzi coming in tomorrow, which I believe live are also from the Amazon river basin, so they should fit with my Brazilian "biotype" aquarium.
Considering how much of Brazil's waterbodies are part of the Amazon basin, it's hard to get a fish that's not from somewhere within that system. :D And indeed, they are from one of the tributaries of the Amazon.

wrs2 said:
Oh and I haven’t seen the apisto at all today. So I wonder what’s going on with him??? If he’s a goner I’ll already by out $35 on fish with this tank. Already!
Not at all? That's curious.

wrs2
MacZ said:
Just let it float. The more light and CO2 it gets the better.

Considering how much of Brazil's waterbodies are part of the Amazon basin, it's hard to get a fish that's not from somewhere within that system. :D And indeed, they are from one of the tributaries of the Amazon.

Not at all? That's curious.
I found him this morning! I was depressed all night thinking he was dead. He’s so small he must have been spending his day in one of the smaller seed pods in the back of the tank. But now that makes me think I need to get The cardinal tetras sooner than later so he has dither fish in with him.
Unless I just put some black neon tetras in the tank. I already have them. Not what I want, but if it will help him feel safer I’ll do it.

And thanks for the advise on the pennywort! That’s exactly what I will do with it.

Oh and I’m thinking of turning my QT tank into a blackwater tank too lol. After the cardinals I’m not buying anymore fish so I won’t need it. I have some really small gold neon tetras I’d probably put in the tank.

MacZ
Yes, black neons work just as good. And are even more biotope-appropriate with A. cacatuoides.

And about the pennywort:

photo_2021-05-26_18-13-51.jpg

90% of the plant material is pennywort, the rest is 50:50 frogbit and pothos. The leaves that grew emersed have already reached the rim on both sides. No special lights, CO2 comes from the air, but since I basically use 90% RO I have to add macro and micro nutrients.

wrs2
MacZ said:
Yes, black neons work just as good. And are even more biotope-appropriate with A. cacatuoides.

And about the pennywort:

photo_2021-05-26_18-13-51.jpg

90% of the plant material is pennywort, the rest is 50:50 frogbit and pothos. The leaves that grew emersed have already reached the rim on both sides. No special lights, CO2 comes from the air, but since I basically use 90% RO I have to add macro and micro nutrients.
Ooh that looks nice! I can’t do pothos because of my cats, but it would look so nice in a tank.

wrs2
I moved the black neon tetra into the 20 gallon. Thetank is lacking the color I wanted from the cardinal tetra, but black neons are one of my favorite fish, so I think once the water colors up more it will look better.

But now I really want to do my 29 gallon as a black water tank too lol. Like Rio Negro biotope. Ugh haha.
Skunk Corys, marble hatchet fish, dwarf checkerboard cichlid. IDK what type of tetras though.

I actually have glowlight tetras, which I have seen in blackwater tanks before, so maybe I can do that one based off either of those fish.

Bruinfishkeeper1
I'm definitely am going to fall this thread. Also Glowlight tetras look and work awesome in blackwater!!

wrs2
This is my old black water tank. Ugh it was amazing. I should’ve never taken it down, but I wanted to upgrade to a 29 gallon and I could never get it back to look like this.
6C29E3F5-39A5-406D-B03B-FA1B75553BDC.jpeg

EDBBB0A0-8A8F-4A29-A9A9-658279EC6B7A.jpeg

9AAAE84B-7E1A-4CD1-AEF4-577FFF6C0499.jpeg

887852BB-BF47-4D40-ABB0-DE7B4DD3BD0F.jpeg

341764DA-C596-412C-A8C5-77AF492A18C1.jpeg

A4B4EA67-EA17-4DAB-9F0A-3B3CE09A97D5.jpeg

98D272D8-D0C7-4655-B6F2-083F1FE23BDF.jpeg

C4121642-2539-4C61-BF4B-4BA23AEC9B47.jpeg

D1E7F31D-6655-43F4-9622-14C61880029C.jpeg

This was the 29 gallon. And I just put fish in here that didn't fit together as I tried to merge the tanks.
Oh I miss the 20 tall :(

F64D10C2-7321-4637-8341-C4F35E1CF60F.jpeg

wrs2
I redid the 3 gallon. I like the spider wood look better.
I also switched out the betta. The girl is going to her sorority, so Motoki gets the black water cube.

2B0C81AF-9D41-4DC6-935E-C84C0FC669A9.jpeg

E51190FE-9A53-4F15-AAF4-B041221146FF.jpeg

585A8444-9446-41AB-A84A-84313C847F08.jpeg

28724B93-9B5F-41E2-8BCE-7FBD4EF56B89.jpeg

AND the black neon tetra in the SA tank. I got some frog bit for it as well. I feel like it's missing that color I wanted from the Cardinal tetras though :/

22EEDA2F-8097-42D8-86BC-97A0FB91D03C.jpeg

LHAquatics
Every time I see a blackwater tank My instincts SCREAM cardinal/neon tetras. A large school will be amazing

MacZ
LHAquatics said:
Every time I see a blackwater tank My instincts SCREAM cardinal/neon tetras. A large school will be amazing
After two years with cardinals... it gets boring, even if the biotope is taylored to their needs.

wrs2
Cardinals are so pretty though. I had a bunch for a while, but then a rock fell on two and crushed them and then I didn’t quarantine some tank mates long enough and they had ich which was not easy to cure and the remaining cardinals died. Pretty tragic.
But regular neon tetras? Gah they’re so boring lol.

Latest threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Find a Guru

Top Bottom