Blackwater Biotope with Angel Fish

Northwoods22

I am interested in adding some Manacapuru Red Shoulder Angelfish to my collection. I am new to keeping Angels and my plan is to build an Amazon biotope sytem with tank-raised Angels and the add some sub-adult Manacapuru Angels when the tank is well eatablished. I am new to keeping Angels, and, I welcome your critique of my strategy and proposed tank setups. I have three tanks devoted to this project, and, I am open to a bigger tank (ie 60 or 75g if needed.) I have a 40g breeder, 20g extra high and a 10g. Currently I have 6 Black Neons in the 10g, 2 small Angels and 4 med Angels in the 20g and the 40 breeder has 6 Buenos Aries Tetras in it but these will be evicted when I covert it to the blackwater environment. Evolution I: Build out a hardscaped blackwater tank (with lots of leaf litter and some driftwood) and add the tank-raised Angels and Black Neons. I plan to keep this sytem as-is for six months. Evolution II: I will confirm that I have the correct water parameters, and, then I will then add 4 med wild Manacapuru Red Shoulder Angelfish and 2 small wild Discus (or move the Black Neons in there from the 10g) and grow them until they need a bigger tank. Let me know what you think of my plans, and, thanks for reading my post.

LowConductivity

+1 for actually selecting a blackwater angelfish for a blackwater tank.

just start with the bigger tank, 75 would be pretty nice.

be selective with your manacupuru angelfish selection….many angelfish come from Manacupuru, most of them aren’t red shouldered.

Linda1234

The 40B is not really tall enough for adult male angelfishes; the 20g is way too small for adult angels (not enough vertical space). There is a 50B that is identical to a 40B but taller. Also when the angels pair; it will be difficult to keep more than 2 in such a small tank. If you can keep them all the same sex; they will bicker a bit but nothing too horrible. Some people have success with a large number of angels; but with 12 in a larger aquarium i've had a difficult time dealing with the constant bickering.

I've not kept discus but from various readings they really need a larger group than 2 - the number i generally hear is 6. Also the discus are best kept at 86 esp when young; and other than the angels none of the fishes you have are going to be happy that warm. Last but lest given the size of your current aquarium I would be seriously concern about stunting of the discus. Suggesting 86 ssinit comment on the special care required for young discus fish as I'm not sure you are prepared to keep the aquarium adequately clean (near daily water changes) that young discus will likely require.

86 ssinit

Yeah discus and angels in my opinion do not go together. Wild discus should be quarantined for at least 6 weeks. Any new fish should be quarantined for at least 5. Angels to get aggressive and with anything.

TClare

Yes, you will definitely need at least the 75G for a group of angelfish long term. You might then be able to separate a pair into the 40B temporarily, though as Linda1234 says ideally a taller tank would be better when they get to full size.

It is an interesting project you are planning.

Northwoods22

I appreciate all of the good ideas. I agree that a 75g makes sense in the long run. I will use the 40b to test out some ideas before tackling the final 75g iteration. I am taking Discus off the list and I would be interested to hear if anyone has stocking ideas for a 75g Blackwater setup.
I want to make the Manacapuru Red Shoulder Angelfish the main attraction but I am interested in ideas for tankmates that would originate from the Rio Negro. I will look forward to hearing some ideas. Thanks.

Linda1234

I appreciate all of the good ideas. I agree that a 75g makes sense in the long run. I will use the 40b to test out some ideas before tackling the final 75g iteration. I am taking Discus off the list and I would be interested to hear if anyone has stocking ideas for a 75g Blackwater setup.
I want to make the Manacapuru Red Shoulder Angelfish the main attraction but I am interested in ideas for tankmates that would originate from the Rio Negro. I will look forward to hearing some ideas. Thanks.
If you don't already own the 40B I'd look for a 50B as i noted above it is the identical foot print but taller. Of course if you live in the USA 40B is pretty inexpensive and the 50B is probably a lot more expensive because it is less common but you can price it out. Of course if you already own the 40B this is't useful information unless you want to reuse your stand et all.

Northwoods22

If you don't already own the 40B I'd look for a 50B as i noted above it is the identical foot print but taller. Of course if you live in the USA 40B is pretty inexpensive and the 50B is probably a lot more expensive because it is less common but you can price it out. Of course if you already own the 40B this is't useful information unless you want to reuse your stand et all.
I do own a 40 breeder now and I agree that a 50 is a better configuration for adult Angels and I could add a 50 on the top of the stand and put the 40b on the bottom. I am thinking I could eventually add the 75 for the adult Angels, use the 40b for sub-adults, put a breeding pair in the 20 high and raise the fry in the 10g. The idea from the start was to use multiple tanks for different purposes and to give me the flexibility to manage any issues that may arise (ie illness, aggression, breeding, etc.) This approach came out of feeling constricted by owning just one tank and being presented with scenarios that I wasn't prepared for such as isolating new fish or sick fish. I think that alot of people like to have different species in different tanks but at the present moment I am all in with the Angel fish!
This is an example of the quarter-sized Angels that I have now (with the intention that they will be used to establish my show tank in order to prepare it for some wild-caught fish.) I am also open to acquiring some tank-raised Manacapuru Angel fish that are descended from wild parents.

Attachments

• 20211006_202047_(1)~2.jpg
    20211006_202047_(1)~2.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 12

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Bruinfishkeeper1
Replies
Views
Bruinfishkeeper1
Replies