Blackwater Betta Tank

AJ34

I have a spare 10 gallon tank and I'm thinking I want to make it a split "blackwater" betta tank. I'm thinking of upgrading two male bettas who are currently in 3 gallons so I can give them a little more water volume and hopefully help some of the tail biting. I have a beautiful HMDT who has just destroyed his tail. I have tried larger tanks and I have tried a smaller set up with lower flow to no avail. I have added some live plants but I think this set up will allow me to add even more floating plants at the surface. He really is an awesome betta and I would love to get his fins back in shape if its possible. I'm thinking the black water and plants might help him feel more secure. They might even end up with some snails who hitch hiked in on my spare filter, whether they let them living or not is another story. I plan to use the life with pets divider with holes, I have another one of these and it has worked well so far. Anyone else do blackwater for their bettas? I'm interested in hearing experiences and opinions.

Coradee

Giving this a bump up for you hope you get some responses today

Repolie

I've done a black water setup for my bettas before. I found it to be beneficial for them and they like it.

AJ34

I’ve heard some good things so wanted to try! I have an extra 10 g and I’m starting to work more in a few week so figure giving them the bigger volume will help both them and myself as I have 11 tanks to maintain. I’m hoping the tannins and dark water will help with stress/biting. Also hoping they won’t be too aware of the other through the divider . I have two females divided and they don’t seem to notice the other exists on the other side... don’t know what the males will do. If I doesn’t work one lucky Betta gets a 10 gallon all to himself lol

AJ34

This is just the beginning. The divider comes tomorrow and then I can see what I will do plant wise. I don’t know if my anacharis will do well in this set up. I have a love/hate thing with aquatic plants and will probably end up doing mostly realistic silk plants. I’m trying to use materials that I have or they are low cost until I start working again!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 79

AJ34

So sadly the Betta divider I received did not fit my tank properly. The tank must not be an aqueon like I suspected or the divider is off. More than likely it’s the tank type as I got it second hand and am unsure of brand. I tried the divider in my other 10 gallon which I know is an aqueon...seems to fit better but that has 100s of feeder snails currently so not looking to put a Betta in there don’t trust the bioload. So I put my youngest guy Jack in there , he got upgraded from a 3 gallon to a 10 gallon and seems to be loving it! I had reservations about putting my HMDT in there to begin with I think his fins are just too much of a burden on him and he’s gotta be at least two years or older at this point. Maybe I can divide up the other 10 when I no longer need to breed snails for picky dwarf puffer

AJ34

Sadly the said DP passed this morning can’t believe it. I feel like I jinxed it if I don’t get another DP I will probably split that snail tank. The irony...

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Buganjimo
Replies
Views
ChikoritaTheAxolotl
Replies
Views
ayeayeron
Replies
Views