Blackwater Betta Tank

Buganjimo

Sooooooo, I have a 5.5 gallon betta tank that I don’t reaallly love the scape of, and have been dying to change it up a bit, and I was thinking of doing a blackwater tank. Thoughts? I think I’d use indian almond leaves as I already have them (one of my old bettas loved them) and they’re pretty easy. Does anyone have any specific suggestions or pointers as to setting up these kind of tanks?

75g Discus Tank

Peat moss in the filter will give you a ton of tannins.
Also, mopanI wood will leech tannins for a long time.

If you are still in doubt, go to tanninaquatics

Buganjimo

Thanks for the tips! So is a betta okay/will it thrive in a blackwater setup? Also, what kind of plants can I put in the tank? Does it matter, because I’ve heard only certain plants can go in these tanks but I’ve also heard it doesn’t really matter. Thoughts?

glenCOCO

The betta will be ok in a blackwater tank. Actually a lot of breeders keeps their bettas in blackwater setups. Low/medium lightbplants would work best but typically blackwater biotopes are hardscape only with leaf litter. Maybe add some floating plants for dimmer lighting

Buganjimo

Okay, I have some floating frogbit in my other tank that I can move some over, it grows really fast so I was looking to move it or throw some out so that's good.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
AJ34
Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views
ChikoritaTheAxolotl
Replies
Views