Blackbeard Algae / CO2

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Tetryon, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Tetryon

Tetryon Valued Member Member

I have a small blackbeard algae problem in my tank. It's not out of control, but I think the algae looks pretty healthy and im thinking its because my CO2 solenoid turns the CO2 off at night and the CO2 gasses off. Its takes the full 9 hours of CO2 on for plants to start pearling, so I think the fluctuation might be big enough to cause the BBA to grow. Would it be smart to put the CO2 on the whole time? Will this hurt my fish? My drop checker is kind of useless. I was thinking if the CO2 never fluctuated, the BBA would die off completley.

2. c

chevyguy8893 Well Known Member Member

What kind of light are you running and how long is it on for? Also, do you know how many ppm of CO2 you are at based off of the change in pH? I don't believe that the CO2 being outgassed at night will effect the growth of the BBA since there isn't a light source for it. Running the CO2 at night will just be wasted, and it isn't being used up by the plants, which could be dangerous.

I can say for sure once BBA exists, even with CO2, it will continue to live, but it should not spread if your CO2 is at 30ppm. If it is on any plant leaves you can try and spot treat with seachem excel, but realize there are some plants that do not react well to this. If there is a lot on the leaves I would just trim them off before a water change to remove the spores. I have spot treated in the past, and the BBA dies overnight never to return.

3. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

CO2 fluctuation isn't the main cause for BBA. I run my CO2 24/7 with a Ph Controller. My Drop Checker is yellow.

Other things you need to take a look at is how much light over the tank, I've noticed it likes bright light, decrease intensity if needed but likes older shaded leaves or older leaves. Grows in any environment. Your photoperiod should be no more then 8 hours. Adjust CO2 a little and observe fish and plants. Circulation should be throughout the tank. Remove older unhealthy leaves. Spot treat with Excel as mentioned.

4. OP
    OP
    Tetryon

Im running a couple of T5HO 31W so 62W total. I will skim an hour off the 9 hour timer. Maybe I could up the CO2 just a little bit, it never quite made it to lime green on my drop checker. I will put the drop checker back in and watch the fish.

5. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

What plants do you have?

What T5HO fixture do you have?

What you are looking for is response from the plants. If all is well with your fish on first adjustment then increase a little more. Observe.

My difference in pH drop is just over one full degree; 7.6 to 6.4. This is roughly 30ppm.

It takes a few hours for the DC to register. They also are slow with any changes.

6. OP
    OP
    Tetryon

Coralife 30 Inch Dual T5HO 2x31W

At the end of the photo cycle, the pH is 6.6, I havent measured it with the lights off, but can only assume it rises during the night.

The plant is a rose sword I got from petco. It started off very small but once I started with a CO2 tank and iron (liquid/tab) ferts, it quadrupled in size. Has tons and tons of leaves that go to the top of my 29g high. Then the BBA started to show up. It was my hunch it was growing from all the iron, and ive been trying to find out ever since. Ive been using algaefix which i know is not the answer to fixing things. Chemicals should be the last resort i know. But it hasnt messed with the biofilter and the BBA has been on the retreat. I recently put a flourish iron fert tab in to get the plant going again, and the algae started up brand new on the leaves. I thought it could be iron related.

7. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

Are you using 4dkh water in the drop checker solution? Definitely stop with the algaefix.

2xt5ho on a 29 is definitely high light,possibly even too much light. If the photoperiod co2 injection change doesn't fix it I'd consider going down to one bulb for a few weeks just to see how it goes.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice