Black worms have grown in my fish tank.....

?

Why and how did black worms appear in my tank's filter?

1. disease and bacteria

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. parasite

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. shaynarentfrow Initiate Member

Recently my baby albino oscar cichlid died due to a disease where his scales and fins fell off. Which I found strange because none of the bigger fishes had that  problem. Now very small black worms have appeared all over the tank starting in the filter. I have no idea what this is or if it is hazardous to the fishes health. If anyone can let me know what it is or what I should do that would be awesome. Thank you.  ??? ??? ???  :'(

2. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Could you tell us what your water parameters are please? Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates, PH.
    Anytime you lose a fish you need to do a large water change, So that would be the first thing to do.
    Let us know
    carol

3. RoboDude Member Member

Wow, I've never heard of a case of worms appearing from nowhere . . . can't help you, sorry :-[

4. RoboDude Member Member

Wow, I've never heard of a case of worms appearing from nowhere . . . can't help you, sorry  :-[

5. RoboDude Member Member

Oops, I accidentally posted that twice! LOL! :D

6. jim55379 Member Member

hmmm??? black worms?? Do you go fishing?? I never heard of this either. Maybe the moderator can help? ::)

7. rob2uk Member Member

This is kinda weird...

I was queuing at my LFS the other day and the guy in front of me asked the clerk about the EXACT same thing.
    He did have a solution for it, but I wasn't really paying attention.
    I'll ask about it when I go there next, probably won't be til tomorrow though

8. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Since we didn't get any answers as to water parameters i can only guess at the problem. And I would guess at a water quality issue, especially if the scales and fins fell off while in the tank.
    Carol

9. rob2uk Member Member

Just been to the LFS to get ideas for my 50 gall...

The clerk said that he had a similar problem a while back. The way he solved it was to cut back on the amount he was feeding his fish until the worms died off
    They never cam back

10. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I think a good vacuum and filter case rinse (in tank water of course ;) ) would help also.
    Carol