Black Worm Culturing Quesions

psalm18.2
Have you had a black worm culture? I've been reading google on black worm cultures and it sounds like a good food source for my puffer fish. Where do you get the worms from? I tried E-Bay but couldn't find any live worms for sale. Thanks for the help!

TexasDomer
I haven't ordered from here, but this is one source:

Sometimes LFS can get them in.

psalm18.2
Thanks, but it's so expensive. There must be a cheaper option, guess I'll call around the local LFS to see if they could order or maybe someone on here could sell a few worms. I don't want to buy a huge culture only to find out the puffer doesn't like them.

glenCOCO
Most LFSs will carry them. Usually $1 per oz around here. Never seen a puffer that turned down blackworms. I’m going on 2 months now on a single portion for my betta with no worm deaths. Just change the water daily with cold dechlorinated water and you’re good to go.

psalm18.2
Most LFSs will carry them. Usually $1 per oz around here. Never seen a puffer that turned down blackworms. I’m going on 2 months now on a single portion for my betta with no worm deaths. Just change the water daily with cold dechlorinated water and you’re good to go.
Pet smart strike one. No blackworms. Ebay strike two.

TexasDomer
I wouldn't expect chain stores like Petco or Petsmart to have them, but specialty LFS may be able to order them for you.

glenCOCO
You need to go to a mom and pops for blackworms

UnderwaterGalaxy
Here is an ebay seller selling blackworms culture for $12

psalm18.2
TexasDomer
1 tablespoon will take forever to get a large enough colony going to feed your fish.

psalm18.2
1 tablespoon will take forever to get a large enough colony going to feed your fish.
How much do you suggest?

TexasDomer
How much do you suggest?

If you want to start feeding right away, I'd start with at least a 1/4 lb. They are very slow growers in the colony, so you'd need to start out with enough to feed now and begin the colony with.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
bumblinBee
Replies
Views
Rtessy
Replies
Views
Celestialpearl
Replies
Views