Black widows or Serpaes? 100 Gallon Tank

1. avianwing Initiate Member

Greetings all!

I have set up a 4 by 2 by 2 feet tank which i guess is a 100 gallon tank in terms of water capacity. I have placed a few plants and 4 flourescent tubes 2 of 6500 kelvin and 1 each of 4000 and 8000. It has been 3 days now and there are no fish.

I wish to use either the Black widow or the Serpae tetra to cycle the tank may be after about 10 days. I am thinking of adding about 6 or 8 of either.

Please suggest which species would be better?

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello avianwing and Welcome to Fish Lore!

I would have to suggest NONE of the above :)

Here is a link you may find helpful. There are other ways to cycle your tank other than using fish to do it.

Four Methods of Fish Less Cycling

Any of the methods in the link would be much better and much more humane. Unless you are prepared to do daily water changes to prevent the fish from suffering ammonia poisoning I would suggest choosing one of them.

Best of luck and please keep us posted.
    Happy Holidays!:;ps
    Ken

:animal0068:Note: I have moved your thread from the Tetra Forum to the Nitrogen Cycle Forum. I believe this will help you to get more responses to your question.
    Ken

3. Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

I would agree with Ken on this one. If you have the ability to do a fishless cycle you should. Tetras of any sort are not suitable for cycling a tank if you have no choice but to use fish to cycle. They are highly intoerant of poor water conditions. If you must use fish to cycle start with something hardier like Zebra Danios or even Cherry Barbs. You can always remove them at a later date if they are not on your final stocking list. Even with hardier fish you would still need to do daily water changes & monitor all your levels to make sure the fish don't get stressed & die. Honestly though do a fishless cycle. It's much easier & healthier for your fish. Dead shrimp are easy to get hold of.

4. fishingman001 Well Known Member Member

fishless cycle is much faster than cycling with fish. If you need to put fish in right away get a bottle of Tetra SafeStart. That will let you enjoy the fish immediately.