Black Water Questions Help 

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Messages
2,457
Reaction score
593
Points
158
Experience
More than 10 years
Can you elaborate more about your setup?

What kind of tank?
What are its dimensions?
Which carpet plants?
How dark do you intend on going on a scale of weak tea to pitch black?
What sort of lighting do you have, and for how long a day do you use it?

And just out of curiosity, what are you currently stocking?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3

danhutchins

Well Known Member
Messages
813
Reaction score
389
Points
78
Experience
5 years
maggie thecat said:
Can you elaborate more about your setup?

What kind of tank?
What are its dimensions?
Which carpet plants?
How dark do you intend on going on a scale of weak tea to pitch black?
What sort of lighting do you have, and for how long a day do you use it?

And just out of curiosity, what are you currently stocking?
It's a standard 55 gallon. I'm running a nicrew 48" led fixture that grew dwarf hairgrass no problem. I currently am trying to grow s.repens as a carpet also have 3 different types of swords not 100% what 2 of them are but one is an Amazon. I have 2 angels 3 cory cats 6 golden barbs 4 rasboras 1 rummy nose tetra (I know I should have more and I did but the others just went mia one day 1 wide mouth pleco 2 loches not sure what type but they look like small eel that have black and orange stripes. 2 amano shrimp 2 siamese algae eaters and Malaysian trumpet snails. I would like it to be light medium dark I guess, would still like to see everything well but also think my fish should feel more at home.
 

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Messages
2,457
Reaction score
593
Points
158
Experience
More than 10 years
I ran a blackwater tank for a while. I had S.American tetras in there. I used at different points, almond leaves, peat and Tetra's Blackwater extract, which makes life pretty easy in terms of picking a level of water staining.

Old timers used to put tea bags in their filters.

Whatever you use, it can have an effect on pH, so bear that in mind.

I never had much luck with hair grass. Too many bottom sifters in my tanks. Maybe someone else will weigh in.

Your stripy eel looking things are khuli loaches. They, like the tetras, are happiest in larger groups.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5

danhutchins

Well Known Member
Messages
813
Reaction score
389
Points
78
Experience
5 years
maggie thecat said:
I ran a blackwater tank for a while. I had S.American tetras in there. I used at different points, almond leaves, peat and Tetra's Blackwater extract, which makes life pretty easy in terms of picking a level of water staining.

Old timers used to put tea bags in their filters.

Whatever you use, it can have an effect on pH, so bear that in mind.

I never had much luck with hair grass. Too many bottom sifters in my tanks. Maybe someone else will weigh in.

Your stripy eel looking things are khuli loaches. They, like the tetras, are happiest in larger groups.
I am planning on getting more loaches and rummy nose tetra but has to be done slowly so I dont start a mini cycle. The question was weather it would affect the lighting or not but thanks.
 

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Messages
2,457
Reaction score
593
Points
158
Experience
More than 10 years
danhutchins said:
I am planning on getting more loaches and rummy nose tetra but has to be done slowly so I dont start a mini cycle. The question was weather it would affect the lighting or not but thanks.
If you darken the tank over time, the plants should adapt to the new conditions. If they start to fail, back up a few shades until they can reestablish. You should be able to find a happy medium that way.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7

danhutchins

Well Known Member
Messages
813
Reaction score
389
Points
78
Experience
5 years
So, I tried the tea bags but no matter how much I added I didn't see much change. I think I'm going to stay with a normal looking tank for now till I have more time to research more on black water. Here is a pic of my current setup.
20181113_173600.jpg
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom