Black Water Or Not?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by Gourami-28, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Gourami-28

Gourami-28Valued MemberMember

Hi guys , i wanted to see is it a black water tank or just a regular cloudy aquarium...

[​IMG]

2. Demeter

DemeterFishlore VIPMember

That's cloudy. A good tank with tannin in it will still be clear, just kinda tea stained. There's wood in there so some tannin should be in the water but not enough to be considered a "black water" tank. I'm loving the snails though, I recently bought a trio of mysteries and they're pretty fun to watch :D

3. Fanatic

FanaticFishlore VIPMember

4. OP
    OP
    Gourami-28

But when i take a look from the side the water seems to be black...i love the color butis it gonna harm my fishes?

5. OP
    OP
    Gourami-28

Yes they are and the female is gonna lay eggs in just a week

6. Demeter

DemeterFishlore VIPMember

Tannin doesn't harm the fish, it is actually beneficial to many tropical species as there are tannins in their natural habitat. A true black water setting will often have next to no plant life as the pH is lowered (as low as 3) by all the tannin (tons of it) released by the wood, peat, and leaf litter. In our home aquariums it is hard to truly replicate the natural black water habitat as it would take a lot of tannin to lower the pH.

7. Fanatic

FanaticFishlore VIPMember

8. OP
    OP
    Gourami-28

[​IMG]
    but in compare to the early pic i took it might have turned into black water

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice