Black Water! Bubbles & MORE PROBLEMS

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Beausoleiljacob, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Beausoleiljacob

Beausoleiljacob Valued Member Member

Hi Fishlore, During my water change today I decided to change my purigen. After adding it, yet again I got a bunch of soap bubbles. I don't know what I am doing wrong. Anyways I removed it immediately. I then added chemi-pure elite, followed the directions by rinsing until clear, but as soon as I put it in my tank it turned my tank black. What should I do? :eek: Will my fish be okay?
    Thanks!

2. FishesInTank

FishesInTank Valued Member Member

Can you take picture?

The Owner of Good Fishes and Killing Fishes group

3. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

I'm guessing you just didn't rinse the Chemi-Pure enough. This happened to me once with carbon. I just did a large water change and all was well.

4. ricmcc

ricmcc Well Known Member Member

I have used the product for quite awhile now, and did sort of rely upon on vastly over filtering with it after doing a mischief to my leg last January, resulting in my being of my feet for a month or two. My wife was great in filling in, but I could hardly ask to do W/Cs and such. Anyway, I am familiar with the stuff, and this is a new one on me.
    When you say soap bubbles, you are meaning bubbles that have the appearance of soap bubbles, I am hoping, as in that no soap or other wetting agent has actually entered your tank?
    Just now, I fully agree with jdhef, in that it is possible that under rinsing could be at fault, but I while I can see how this could happen with carbon, I have no idea of just how under rinsed Purigen might result in black water, which is why I aimed the question his way again (hey, that's what friends are for, eh?,:).)
    I also agree that a large w/c is your best remedial solution at this time, followed by an e-mail to SeaChem to ask after their opinion.
    When you ask if your fish will be ok, I really would rather that you had stated just how your fish are behaving now, and do they seem stressed be the matter?
    Beyond that, I have no suggestions, other than the large w/c and watching your fish closely for any behavioural change just now.
    A sudden thought, ok, they do happen to me now and then:). Was the first batch of Purigen ever recharged by you at any time; if it was, I assume that you followed the protocol of a quite strong bleach solution for 8 hrs., and did you make sure that any bleach used was free of any wetting agent (soap, detergent, etc.)? It is not always listed as an ingredient, but can be very easily tested for--I think that someone turned an old post of mine into a sticky about the method, otherwise, just PM me if curious.
    Anyway, perplexed, nothing new in that regard for me,but hoping for the best, rick

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice