Black Water And Fungus

LynnwoodFishDad

So my daughter bought a piece of driftwood for her new tank before we left town for a week. Came home to the tank looking like this! No fish yet(other than on sticky notes). Three questions:
Did she accidentally set up a black water tank?
Is the bloom on the stick bad for fish?
How do I fix this?
GH 30
KH 40
PH 7
Nitrates, nitrites, ammonia all at 0
Temp 77

Attachments

MrBryan723

Well Known
Looks like BBA to me. Not harmful but unsightly. Can be removed with some scrubbing. Tannis is probably leeching off as well, boil the wood and it will kill the algae and help more tannis leech out before putting it back in the tank. Might be a good idea to cycle the tank too.

OP
LynnwoodFishDad

LynnwoodFishDad

I’ve had her filter media in my established tank for about 3 weeks now. I’ll likely dump all the water and refill it. Ugh! Thanks for the advice on the boiling.

OP
LynnwoodFishDad

LynnwoodFishDad

As I mentioned, her media has been soaking up BB in my HOB. I haven’t introduced it yet but will when we add the fish.

Not sure if it is the water up here in the Pacific NW but I’ve never had a tank read more than 5ppm nitrates in the time I’ve had the fish and everyone tells me I’m overstocked!

jdhef

LynnwoodFishDad said:
Not sure if it is the water up here in the Pacific NW but I’ve never had a tank read more than 5ppm nitrates in the time I’ve had the fish and everyone tells me I’m overstocked!
Nitrates are a direct result of ammonia production. The more ammonia going in, the more resultant nitrates you will have. The only ways to lower the amount of nitrates is to do a water change, have live plants and/or use a nitrate absorbing media in your filter. Of course sometimes it's just inaccurate test results.

So you really can give any credit to the water in the Pacific NW for your low nitrate readings.

OP
LynnwoodFishDad

LynnwoodFishDad

jdhef said:
Nitrates are a direct result of ammonia production. The more ammonia going in, the more resultant nitrates you will have. The only ways to lower the amount of nitrates is to do a water change, have live plants and/or use a nitrate absorbing media in your filter. Of course sometimes it's just inaccurate test results.

So you really can give any credit to the water in the Pacific NW for your low nitrate readings.
My nitrates have been fine and I get the cycle. Thanks! LOL

jdhef

I realize that...sorry if my post made it sound like I thought you didn't. But come on, you gotta kinda wonder why your nitrates are so low.

OP
LynnwoodFishDad

LynnwoodFishDad

I actually do wonder! I have 36 fish and 3 snails in my 36-gal and do 25% weekly water changes. I’ve used strips and the API master test kit (as well as taking samples to my LFS) and never read over 5!!!

No carbon in filter but heavily planted.

MrBryan723 I’m starting the third boil and the water is still turning dark brown. Will it do that in the tank again or should I be good?

MrBryan723

Well Known
LynnwoodFishDad said:
MrBryan723 I’m starting the third boil and the water is still turning dark brown. Will it do that in the tank again or should I be good?
It's really up to you on that one. I go for the Blackwater look myself. Over time it will dissipate with water changes if it is still leeching out of the wood. It will definitely not be as bad now tho. If you want to see.

MrBryan723

Well Known
Another option would be soaking in warm water and bleach for a day. But if you choose that option you will have to soak it in dechlorinater for a few days and I can't make any promises as I don't use chemicals.

New Threads