Black velvet molly turning gold?

Simplywolf

Hey there I work at a Petco and recently we got a huge surrendered School of black velvet Molly's. I took 5 home 4 females and 1 male (already have one golden dusk molly). To my surprise the male black molly is turning gold there are just little speckles of this bright gold in him even more gold then my golden dusk molly. Is this alright and what's causing this sudden change of colors?

JLAquatics

Hey there I work at a Petco and recently we got a huge surrendered School of black velvet Molly's. I took 5 home 4 females and 1 male (already have one golden dusk molly). To my surprise the male black molly is turning gold there are just little speckles of this bright gold in him even more gold then my golden dusk molly. Is this alright and what's causing this sudden change of colors?
Welcome to Fishlore, it is nice to hear from someone new!

As for your fish, there are two possibilities. One, fish naturally change colors all the time as they age. This is especially prevalent with Goldfish and Bettas (the black color especially) but can certainly happen to Mollies as well. This is completely natural and should be no cause for concern. The other thing is that if the color change looks unnatural such as if the fish looks like it has a gold dust or open sores, then this is an infection in the fish. A picture will help us identify, but by the sounds of it the former is much more likely.

I hope you enjoy it here on Fishlore, I certainly do. :)

Upvote 0

Simplywolf

hey thanks for the quick response ill have to grab a quick pic when he is not quite so active. defiantly not an open sore at all but never have seen this color change on a black molly. also the color is quite interesting. i have seen gold on molly before but this is just pretty ill have to grab a pic later today.
Sorry that there not super great photos but here is the black molly in question. While looking I also noticed one of the females had one patch on her bottom fin of the same shiny gold color.

Attachments

• IMG_20210718_184904182.jpg
    IMG_20210718_184904182.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20210718_184845703_MP.jpg
    IMG_20210718_184845703_MP.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20210718_184844793_MP.jpg
    IMG_20210718_184844793_MP.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 15
Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads