Black swordtail breeding questions

juanortez

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If I were to buy a male black swordtail, (which I'm planning to) and breeds with my current black swordtail with clear fins, how would the male swordtail fins be so the fries won't have a bigger chance of cancer? They're so pretty black with clear fins and doing some research I've read that mostly/all black fins is a sign of cancer and is due to the breeding of partially black fins.

The question would be: should I buy a clear finned swordtail so it can me with the one I have? (To have fries with black body and clear fins)

BravetheBetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
unless you have a pure lineage, there is no way to tell how many will turn out with black fins and how many will not.

tbh it isn't about what colour their fins are, it just seems that black bodied swords seem to have a tendency toward fish melanoma, perhaps from bad breeding practices when forming the strain.

OP
juanortez

juanortez

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you for helping , I figured they'd be random and isn't guaranteed to come without rush of fish melanoma.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
OP did have it right, Black Swordtails with black finnage are almost guaranteed to develop melanomas, while the ones with clear fins do not show any significant tendency toward cancers. It has been found that the gene that produces black fins is linked to a gene that results in cancers. That's why these fish are often used in cancer research, or at least, they used to be. The Tuxedo trait has a similar problem, as a fish that is homozygous for this trait also tends to develop cancerous tumors, but it usually happens at a much younger age. Sometimes they aren't even born alive.

I would select a male with clear fins for breeding purposes. Of course, I would try to breed red into the fins to make a Berlin Sword.

BravetheBetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
chromedome52 said:
OP did have it right, Black Swordtails with black finnage are almost guaranteed to develop melanomas, while the ones with clear fins do not show any significant tendency toward cancers.
or is it the other way around, that the tendency toward melanoma turns the fins black? I genuinely have no idea, haven't done nearly enough research to be certain about it...

New Threads