Black stuff growing from Java Fern

irigdoog
Hello, I got some Java Fern around a month ago from a LFS and now there are black stuff growing from it. Would you be able to identify what these stuff are for me? It doesn’t look like algae to me and it feels a bit rough to the touch. So far, there are multiple spots growing only on the Java fern. These ferns are not even planted next to each other.

Tank info: 75 gallon freshwater community, PH 7.4, ammonia very close to 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 40, GH is a bit low. I have an high intensity plant light, no CO2, and an UVC in-line clarifier set up.

sorry if the pictures are not that focused.

mimo91088
Baby java ferns growing. It will grow a little root ball and rhizome. Then leaves will start to sprout. It will then break off from the mother plant and drift around to find a spot to grow.

Lmg01
irigdoog said:
Hello, I got some Java Fern around a month ago from a LFS and now there are black stuff growing from it. Would you be able to identify what these stuff are for me? It doesn’t look like algae to me and it feels a bit rough to the touch. So far, there are multiple spots growing only on the Java fern. These ferns are not even planted next to each other.

Tank info: 75 gallon freshwater community, PH 7.4, ammonia very close to 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 40, GH is a bit low. I have an high intensity plant light, no CO2, and an UVC in-line clarifier set up.

sorry if the pictures are not that focused.
I agree with mimo91088. Here’s a pic of what they’ll look like when they grow.

HupGuppHup
You can just peel them off with your fingernail if you want to plant them or just get rid of them.

irigdoog
Oh wow, so it's good news that I'll be having plant babies soon. Thanks for letting me know, I was starting to worried that a black beard attack is coming.

Top Bottom