Black Spotted Eel Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by AngryRainbow, Apr 10, 2019.

1. AngryRainbow

AngryRainbowValued MemberMember

I've been shifting around my current stocking (profile not up to date atm), and have begun to play around with the idea of adding an "eel" to my 120 gallon. I really like black spotted eels, and from what I can see they will not outgrow my tank. But I've got a few questions:

What size fish is no longer in danger of being eaten? I plan to leave turquoise rainbow fish and pearl gourami with it and have seen that as long as the fish is bigger than the eels mouth they are fine, but I have no reference to how big their mouth gets, so will these be fine?

My tank has sand substrate, but is pretty well planted. I mostly have a variety of swords and java ferns. The ferns are sitting on the surface so I don't mind those getting pushed around, but will the eels destroy the root systems of the swords?

Still not sold on adding an eel, I just like the idea of it. Please let me know of any reasons to not do this!

2. Coptapia

CoptapiaWell Known MemberMember

Mastacembelus dayi?
    They can grow to 18” or more, and at that size it would probably eat your Rainbows. Plus destroy your planting with its subterranean movements.

3. OP
    OP
    AngryRainbow

Yes that's the one! Good to know, thank you. No black spotted eel for me :)

4. Frankieflowaz

FrankieflowazValued MemberMember

Try some loach species maybe? Or dwarf birchir if there is a thing lol

5. OP
    OP
    AngryRainbow

I've got kuhli loaches that I love! They're in a smaller tank and was just looking for something for the bigger tank. Will probably just leave it as is since the eel is out. Thanks though

6. Coptapia

CoptapiaWell Known MemberMember

There are smaller Spiny Eels. Macrognathus siamensis (Peacock Eel) grows to a foot, and M. circumcinctus only grows to about 8”.

7. OP
    OP
    AngryRainbow

Yeah, I looked into spiny eels as a whole and just was really drawn to the black spotted one. I don't NEED an eel, so if I can't get the one I like I don't think I'm at the point of settling for another one.