Black spotted eel any guidelines

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Forums' started by Vichu, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Vichu

VichuValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +74
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Guys,I bought two fresh water eel and they seem to be healthy. I tried feeding them with tubifex freeze dried worms after lights gone in the night. Somehow I managed to look in the dark whether they pick it or not and not sure but one of them came to the surface seem to be looking for food.

I tried live earthworms from my own garden where we make organic manure for our plants. They showed no interest and swim past above.

I have natural substrate in my tank from our native river which doesn't have any chemical factory through their run. Anyway i washed them to nearly 20.They seem to like the bed and burry themselves underneath.

Kindly advice me for their care.

2. slayer5590

slayer5590Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +386
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    When I had mine it would eat just about any frozen or freeze dried food that would fit in it's mouth. I would give them a few days to settle in then try live worms again. I've never seen a spiney eel that wouldn't eat worms.

3. Rshore

RshoreValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +159
    mine prefers blood worms and brine shrimp not big on tubifex but he tolerates it wont touch pellets or flakes though if youve just gotten them it could be they need to get a little more comfortable in there new home first... mine disappeared for nearly a month when I first brought him home,

4. WombatCowboy

WombatCowboyValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +125
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Hopefully they are eating by now. Whenever I bring a new predator home I try to feed him with the filter off. When a filter is running it tends to make all the water smell like the food. Can make it harder to locate.