Black Spots

1. LilBlub

LilBlub Well Known Member Member

To give some backstory, I have been on vacation for a week. I did a big water change on my goldfish tank the day before I left. I just got back about an hour ago to find that my ranchu, Spud, has black splotches on her! I assumed it was ammonia burns, although I wasn’t sure how since it’s a fully cycled tank and I was only gone for a week. I quickly tested my water parameters, but everything came back normal. 0 nitrites, 5-10 nitrates, and close to 0 ammonia. Everything seems like it usually is. When she saw me, she came swimming over to beg for food, and gobbled it up when I put some in. She’s acting like she usually does, so she doesn’t seem to be feeling sick. I plan to do a water change tomorrow anyway, but in the meantime does anyone know what this is and how to treat it?:
    CE3FFDD1-4DBB-4A90-A0BA-8823E504BC0C.jpeg
    A133D8C8-0F1B-4901-AFEE-67D9E3359154.jpeg

2. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

It looks like Black Smudge which can come on quickly. Has he been injured or lost any scales recently? If so, this is just areas that are healing. If not, then it is parasites. Do you have any snails or anything that could bring parasites in? I would get a parasite medication and treat according to directions. I believe API General Cure treats for parasites. Good luck and keep us posted.

3. OP
    OP
    LilBlub

I suppose she could’ve been injured. Like I said, I’ve been gone for a week so I can’t be sure. My dad was taking care of the fish, but... He’s not the most observant person lol.

I haven’t introduced any new animals that might be carrying parasites.

Maybe I should wait a couple days and see if it starts to fade? If it’s just a bruise, I don’t want to stress her out with unnecessary medication.

4. OP
    OP
    LilBlub

I just took a closer look, and I noticed she actually is missing a scale or two where the black spots are. I’m not sure what she hurt herself on, though.

5. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

Just keep an eye on her. If it looks like an injury, then she’s just healing. If it worsens, treat for parasites. Good luck!