Black spots on male rosy barb come and go

V1K
I've gotten 3 male rosy barbs for my newly cycled tank a bit over a week ago (the shop had no females). After a week I noticed that two of the males have the spots near their tails much duller than the 3rd one (which is also the largest one). I googled it and the only theory I came up with was stress due to insufficient school size. Now I finally found where to get the females, bought 3. The smallest male got back his normal coloring, but the middle sized one is still duller and his spots sometimes disappear almost completely. The change in color can be quite rapid, like, one minute he can be nearly blank, 10 minutes later his spots are only slightly lighter than those of others. He is active, eating well, he isn't bullied (other than regular displays and chases that happen between everyone without exceptions). Is this a problem or nothing to worry about? Tank is 30 gallon, cycled, planted (although plants are still small), no other fish, nitrates at ~10 mg/L, GH ~15, KH ~12, pH 7.2-7.5.

V1K
Today all three boys have paler spots, even the alpha, while the females remain high contrast. All males are acting intense right now, chasing each other and the females, and then the females chase them back.

DoubleDutch
You might see eggs soon.

V1K
DoubleDutch said:
You might see eggs soon.
I doubt that, the famales are only ~1.5 inch long (without a tail), the males even smaller.

V1K
DoubleDutch said:
You might see eggs soon.
You might be right after all, because now I noticed that the intensity of each female being chased and how badly their fins are damaged is directly proportional to how fat they are. The one that is having a relatively good time and has intact tail is also the skinniest one. I thought they were fat because unlike males they munch on moss 24/7. I just wish they weren't so violent about it, I hope the females won't get fin rot or some serious trauma before it's all over. The females aren't THAT fat yet so I guess it might take a long time until they actually spawn. One has her tail split all the way to the body. Looks healthy so far though.

Latest threads

Top Bottom