Question Black spots on Java Fern

MindTravel3r

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi Folks,

I am on my first go-around with live plants, and I've some black stuff all over my Java Fern. Some of the leaves are dying, but there is quite a bit of new growth also since I put it in the tank. I am also seeing a few black spots on my Anubius, but not to the extent that I am seeing it on the Java Fern.

The Java Fern came home with some of this black stuff on it, but it has definitely spread since I have had it the tank.

I also, had a lot of diatom algae growth in the tank, but I added a bristlenose the middle of last week and she/he seems to have that well under control. I have seen him cleaning up the surface of the plants (both the anubius and the java fern), but they don't seem to be any worse for the wear.

Do you know what these black spots are? Are they anything to be concerned about? And,is there anything I should be doing to remove it? Also, I have just ordered some additional plants that I expect to arrive the end of this week. Is this black stuff any threat to new plants?

Thanks for you time and thoughts...

Attachments

ilikefish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Do you dose with fertalizers? its probably a deficiency. I would get Flourish Comprehensive and dose that. Once you do that I would leave the anubias alone. It doesn't look to bad. But I would trim all the "infected" leaves off of the Java Fern. Because its fast growing I would imagine it would grow back looking normal in as soon as 3 weeks : )

potatos

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Mine look the same, but since they are still producing babies i have not been that worried. the hairy things on the tip of the leaves are the roots of a new plant, and they will have a few small leaves. the leaf can then be snipped of when you feel the plant is big enough and can be planted. I dont know about the spots though, i assumed it was part of the plant, but i dont think they will spread.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Looks like iron deficiency to me. I would start dosing Flourish Comprehensive & give the plants a week or so to recover. If they have shown improvement continue with just the Comprehensive. If they don't start to recover after 10 days let us know & I can advise on what to do next.

MindTravel3r

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thank you so much for the guidance. I don't think I would have figured this out without your help.

It looks like finding Flourish Comprehensive locally may be a challenge (I stopped by an LFS today, and they didn't have any), but I will call around and see if I can find some. Worse case, I will need to order it online, and it will take a few days. In either case, I am glad I have a strategy and a next step in solving this problem. I will keep you posted.

Regal

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Try googling dry aquarium fertilizer. It's so much cheaper than seachem.
You'll get bags of powder and use a tablespoon mixed in your own bottle with water. You can mix more when the bottle runs out. The seachem bottle is about 8 bucks and the dry :-*fertilizers are around 3 or 4 bucks and make maybe 20 refills.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Try googling dry aquarium fertilizer. It's so much cheaper than seachem.
You'll get bags of powder and use a tablespoon mixed in your own bottle with water. You can mix more when the bottle runs out. The seachem bottle is about 8 bucks and the dry :-*fertilizers are around 3 or 4 bucks and make maybe 20 refills.
Dry ferts are ok but you miss out on some of the trace elements when using CMB & people tend to want easy & fast. With the dry stuff they have problems working out which compound they need & how much of it to add. Calculators like the Fertilator are a complete joke & will only confuse people even further IME. That said, using dry stuff can be good when you get your head wrapped around how much of exactly what you need to add & how often you need to add it. In one 27gal tank though, Flourish is not going to be cost prohibitive. A 500ml bottle should last for about a year, so why bother having to do the math?

Regal

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I use the EI method. If you go to plantedtank.net there is a sticky in the fertilizer section. It tells you exactly what to add for your tank size so no math. It's insanely cheaper. Just something to look into

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's a valid method for sure but I think for one tank it's just not worth the hassle unless it's a high light/high demand tank that you need full control over. JMO.

Nate McFin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I use the EI method. If you go to plantedtank.net there is a sticky in the fertilizer section. It tells you exactly what to add for your tank size so no math. It's insanely cheaper. Just something to look into
Ditto! 98% of Flourish is water....really expensive...water. If you dose
Kno3 Kh2po4 k2so4 and Plantex CSM+B you will have all the nutrients you need unless you have iron demanding plants. 19.99 at green leaf aquariums. This would be enough nutrients for a 29G for years.

Flourish products are good but look at how much Flourish Phosphorous it takes to reach EI dosing levels. I would go through a bottle a month in my 20 gallon with DIY Co2 and that is just Po4! YIKE$!

They are easy though...especially for someone getting into plants.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Gotta agree about the phosphorous (and many of the other individual elements). I dose K2SO4 for phosphorous myself as the Flourish phosphorous would cost me an outrageous amont.

The Comprehensive is pretty economical though for most people with ordinary demand tanks. Most people probably spend more each year on food & light tubes than they will on Flourish Comprehensive.

MindTravel3r

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
OK, so I picked up a bottle of Flourish Comprehensive this afternoon before reading the most recent discussion above. For me right now, ease of use is a high priority, and it doesn't look like the Flourish is going to cost me more than $20 US for the year, so financially it's not a big deal at this point. I am sure that if I start additional tanks that whole picture will change as costs go up.

I feel pretty good about getting the dosing started, and it is probably just in time as I will be adding some additional plants later this week. I will let you know how it goes.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Cool. In 90% of tanks Flourish Comprehensive is more than good enough & the cost is negligable when compared to everything else we spend on our tanks. I use other stuff in conjunction with the Flourish Comprehensive but that is because I run a high light tank with high demand plants & co2. That calls for some extra nutrients & being able to dose precise amounts of certain nutrients. In my other planted tanks I just use Comprehensive by itself with great results. For all 4 planted tanks I spend aobut $60 a year on Flourish Comprehensive. I spend 3 times that amount just on fish food.

Keep us updated on how it goes for you & don't forget to post some pics when you get the new plants.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom