Black spot treatment with scaleless fish

Turnips

Hello! My fish have black spots which I believe are flukes. I read that sometimes they go away on their own, but the spots have gotten worse gradually. The fish do not appear in distress, however I would like to keep the disease from spreading. About half of my tank is affected so I need to treat the whole tank, but my concern is that I have scaleless fish in the aquarium. What would be some safe medications to use with scaleless fish? I have tried prazipro with no luck.

Turnips

I’ve been trying to avoid that just because the scaleless fish are some spiny eels, so they give me a tough time when trying to catch them. However, I may just need to muster up some patience and use that method. If I were to avoid removing them, do you think that dipping the heavily affected fish like you said above and doing a 100% (or nearly 100% so the eels aren’t out of water) water change would be effective? Also thank you so much for the resource - that’s very helpful.

DoubleDutch

Got a pic ? Black spot disease is cause by the larvae of a worm I believe amd quite rare. Know what you're treating !

Turnips

Sure! Here is a photo, the keyhole is the one affected -

Attachments

• 6B63E977-44BA-4D19-AAD6-2AEEDD3E35FB.jpeg
    6B63E977-44BA-4D19-AAD6-2AEEDD3E35FB.jpeg
    124.5 KB · Views: 19

A201

If the issue is truly Black spot disease, it will likely go away on it's own. The life cycle is complex & requires a avian host.
If you believe the spots are Flukes, you might try Sea Chem's Paraguard. I believe its main ingredient is an Aldehyde, not nearly as dangerous as Formaldehyde. Half doses are usually recommended for scaleless fish.

Turnips

Interesting - thank you for the insight, it is greatly appreciated. I will check out seachem paraguard for sure. It looks like flukes to me, however I am not an expert when it comes to the less common fish disease ID. I will post updates here as the situation progresses.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Candis
Replies
Views
RebeccaWinkler
Replies
Views
Fisch
Replies
Views