Black Spot, Not Black Spot Disease

RobinLM

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I uploaded a photo. This is Mr. Speckles, he is a platy that lives in my 55g heavily planted aquarium. Temp, 80F, Ph 7-7.2, gh on the softer side, need to test other parameters though. Tank mates, D. Rainbow neon tetra, Cory catfish, other platies, pearl gouramis, D. Gouramis, mollies, clown pleco, and 2 pea puffers. He got his name bc all those other black specks are just his color, the larger black spot is new, he has been acting funny off and on. And his eye on the other side is cloudy or coated or something. This is me holding him to take a pic while in a salt bath. In which he seems to have perked up a little.
20180514_093210.jpg
20180513_224335.jpg

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Have you gotten your other parameters yet? Do you have a pic of his other side? How weird is he acting? Eating ok? Swimming ok?

RobinLM

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have to wait until my husband's pay day to get more testing supplies but he swims OK off and on and he is eating
20180514_093121.jpg

RobinLM

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Forgot to mention I have one double filter and a second single filter on the other side I have baskets in the double filter 1 has bio rings and 1 has coral or should I say crushed coral and I don't know if you can see from the picture but I do have aeration as well

RobinLM

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Gypsy13 said:
So we have a cloudy eye, swimming issues and a black spot?
Yes, he is not swimming funny all the time, wondering if the awkward swimming is bc he is having trouble seeing out of the one eye

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
RobinLM said:
Yes, he is not swimming funny all the time, wondering if the awkward swimming is bc he is having trouble seeing out of the one eye
I can’t see the little guy. But I’d be doing frequent water changes. Also can you take some of the tank water to get it tested? If you can, ask them to write the numbers down so we can see what may be going on in the tank. Clean water will help. Hey @mattgirl @Thunder_o_b can you look at this bb for me? Please?

RobinLM

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Here is top view which shows his eye issue a little better
20180514_112204.jpg

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh my, I see what you mean about its eye. It does look like popeye and hopefully someone that knows something about how to treat it will be here soon to help you out.

I can't tell much about the new spots. Hopefulyl that is just a matter of his colors changing a bit. I know it can happen with Bettas but am not sure if it does with platys.

RobinLM

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
mattgirl said:
Oh my, I see what you mean about its eye. It does look like popeye and hopefully someone that knows something about how to treat it will be here soon to help you out.

I can't tell much about the new spots. Hopefulyl that is just a matter of his colors changing a bit. I know it can happen with Bettas but am not sure if it does with platys.
Thanks , I have had fish in the past that have had popeye but this is more like a cloud coating rather than his eye actually bulging, dont know for sure though

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
RobinLM said:
In my main tank I do 15-18% water changes daily rather than a large weekly change
You may want to do larger water changes until this clears up. Thank you guys for your eyes on this baby. If the larger water changes don’t help, let us know? Few days? Please?

RobinLM

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Well guys he is had no change in his condition not worse not better and he swims OK when he is swimming but hes resting a lot I think I may chalk it up to old age he was full size when I got him and has not grown he has bred a few times. I have treated him and Donna couples so dips So I'm going to let him live out his days as an old man

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom