Black Spot Disease

1. crazedACD Member Member

At work, I have a Silver Dollar that's been there for two or three months now, he has what I believe is Black Spot Disease. From what I've read it's non life threatening, not contagious, and should go away on it's own. How long should it take (approximately) to disappear? Poor little guy looks like someone pricked with a pin over and over, and his fins are pretty torn. I always feel bad for the underdog and have a personal vendetta to helping the less fortunate critters :;dk...so I'm considering bringing him home for a while to fix him up. The only problem is the tank I can QT him in is only 10g..is this OK for a few weeks? Should I add any medications to help with the black spot? I can add him to my 55g afterwards until he gets better, all of my stock is small right now, so he shouldn't get beat on or anything. Keeping him permanently is probably not fair to him as I only have a 55g with no plans of upgrading for a few years. Should I/shouldn't I?

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Crazed.

Silver Dollars will naturally get black spots on their body especially during spawning, and depending on their moods. They can turn almost completely black at times. Their fins will also be trimmed in black on occasion.

There is such a thing called Black Ich:

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/freshwater-fish-disease/35652-black-ick.html

Make sure you are diagnosing correctly before any kind of treatment.

Here is a link with photos of Silver Dollars showing their black spots. All very natural. Check post #2 in this link:
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/silver-dollar-fish/9288-silver-dollar-fish-photos.html
    Ken

3. crazedACD Member Member

I believe this is black spot/black ich...looks just like he has been pricked with a needle :). Actually got a picture today...he is up top, with a "normal" SD below.

359.jpg

4. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Crazed. Great photo! I think I agree with you. Those spots do not look natural compared to the ones I've seen. Hopefully it will pass soon on it's own. Keep us posted please. Beautiful Silver Dollars!
    Ken