Black specks on red zebra: cause for concern?

Kat11

One of my red zebras has suddenly started showing these black flecks/specks on its fins and body. This individual appears to be the least dominant in the tank and is frequently getting chased, but is eating fine and is active. On occasion I've noticed some minor fin damage as well, which I presume is due to aggression, but it grows back. I switch the scape around occasionally to 'reset' territories but this poor guy/gal continues to get chased. I have plenty of hides in there, but this poor thing doesn't know to occupy them to stay out of sight.

Also note: not one of the other 8 mbunas in the tank shows these spots, including my other red zebra purchased as a juvie at the same time from the same lfs. All fish appear to be growing and healthy.

I've read it could be 'black spot' which is a parasitic thing, but it has a complex lifecycle requiring snails and birds, and will eventually go away on it's own. I've also read that spirulina pigmentation could be to blame. I largely feed "Southern Delight" Cichlid Food which does contain spirulina. Finally, this is probably the most stressed individual in the tank, so I'm sure that plays a role.

Tank is healthy and here are the specs:

Tank was fishless cycled, up since July 2020, Fish added Sept 2020.
40g (I know this is considered too small, but I had space limitations).
Ammonia = 0, Nitrite=0, Nitrate=20-40 ppm
40% WC every 7 days
Fluval 307, eheim heater, airstone, Carribsea African Cichlid Mix substrate
80F
pH: 8.2
KH: 12 degrees
GH: 10 degrees

My concern is that this may be something which requires treatment. Any advice?

20210119_113827.jpg
20210119_113718.jpg

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Kat11
Replies
Views
itsjessxx
Replies
Views
EmbersToAshes