Black Skirt/Widow Tetras Question

1. Jake the Fish Member Member

In my tank I have five Black Skirt/Widow Tetras. Two of them are a lot bigger then the other three but my other three are as aggressive as they are. Is it normal if they like attack each other? When they attack each other it looks like tip. ;D

2. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

You have way too many fish for a 10 gallon tank. It is likely that overcrowding is causing aggression. I sit possible for you to upgrade to a much larger tank, or to rehome some of your fish?

3. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

It's crowded in there what do you expect? The bottom line is, you REALLY need a bigger tank.

4. Stone220 Initiate Member

I'm fairly new at this and even I know that your tank is way too overcrowded, my tank is around the 26 gallon mark and I wouldn't have that amount of fish in that never mind in a 10 gallon, at present mine has 6 Black Phantom Tetras, the max I would put in mine is around 10-12 fish, yours I would say your max would be around half that at about 5-7.

5. Neji Member Member

Jake, I suggest you get a bigger tank for all of those fishes :) you can probably keep one or two black skirt tetras in with only a couple smaller tetras and that's all.

And if you do get a bigger tank and your tetras are still fighting. I suggest you get a bunch of plants so then whenever they want to evade fighting they can just swim and hide in the plants for a short while and then they can come back out when they feel like everything is safe :)

6. Jake the Fish Member Member

I've already told a lot of people I'm getting a new tank.

7. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

lol... maybe you should add a signature to your posts, Jake, that says, "I know, I'm getting a bigger tank"

lol

8. Jake the Fish Member Member

Lol, alright Meenu.