black skirt tetras 10 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by jersey, Apr 3, 2010.

1. jersey

jersey Valued Member Member

ok so i think i have a problem. ive got 6 black skirt tetras in my 29 gallon and lately i have noticed they are very nippy with eachother. i dont know whether i got all males or not. i was wondering if i could transfer two to my 10 gallon so there would be 4 in the 29 that might let them have a little more room to themselves. they rarely school together. i think ive only seen them do it twice.

2. OP
    OP
    jersey

im not sure how it would go with the cherry shrimp so id definitely wait until these ones have their babies and they grow up.

3. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Black skirts are pretty well always nippy with each other. That's why you want a group that size so they will nip at each other and not other fish :)
    Separating them into smaller groups will only make them nip at other tank mates.
    Carol

4. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

I would definitely keep them in one tank. Also, be sure to provide them with plants to hide behind. They need a place to call their own.

And yes, they are definitely an aggressive fish.

5. Butterfly

I have 6 in my 55g and they do great but they do need room to maneuver and chase each other as well as places to hide/sleep.
    Carol

6. OP
    OP
    jersey

okay yeah they have lots of places to hide and swim around. i was just worried but i dont want them nipping my other fish lol. one of the smaller ones has a little tear in its fin :( my only problem is my lfs wont let me take them back. even if i wanted to.

7. Butterfly

How long have you had them? They should settle on a pecking order eventually although they will still chase each other.
    Carol

8. OP
    OP
    jersey

ive had them about a month

9. Butterfly

they should settle in soon. I've had mine together with other fish for about three years and they are really cool :)
    Carol

10. OP
    OP
    jersey

okay ill wait it out. i definitely dont want any of them being mean to my bolivian ram which is just the cutest fish on earth. one of them was trying to pull the food out of my rams mouth lastnight. they should just wait until he gets older. lol.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice