Black Skirt Tetras: Bullying Or Schooling? Question

Discussion in 'Tetras' started by Myboimydudemyfish, Apr 21, 2018.

1. MyboimydudemyfishNew MemberMember

I got up today and saw this behavior (video below) which I’ve never seen happen in this tank. Are they bullying this fish or are they just schooling? The alpha of this school is sick so there hasn’t been much order in the group. Water was changed yesterday, there is no heater (it exploded, I have to get a new one). This is a 20 gallon tank with six BSTs and two red eyed tetras (the others died, the two remaining school with the black skirts). Also you’ll see my angelfish, Beard getting in the shot to say hello!

And before anyone says anything: yes, I know this tank is too small for an angelfish, especially a veil tailed one. I came home one night and my dad had the tank stocked with two angels (one died) and five red eyes! We agreed to get the biggest tank we could afford when we had space, Beard is still young and can swim around the tank comfortably. Nipping was an issue when he was tiny but now that he’s grown, the tetras ignore him!

Anyways, here’s the vid:

2. 123Valued MemberMember

I am sorry, I don’t think I can help. I just wanted to say you have beautiful fish and aquarium!!

3. MyboimydudemyfishNew MemberMember

Thanks!

4. chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

Looks like males trying to breed with a female. Normal activity.

5. MyboimydudemyfishNew MemberMember

Oh wow! Didn’t know Snip was a girl!

6. JetlaggedNew MemberMember

I'm having a similar problem. My tetras decided to gang up on my glofish. He seems to have one protector. This just started this morning after living together for months. I moved the decorations around so there wouldn't be teritorial issues. The tank is a little cloudy now. They are still chasing the glofish. I can't get the video to upload.

7. MyboimydudemyfishNew MemberMember

Is the fish sick, small, or just weak? That usually causes bullying. Or it could be mating behavior like above person said.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice