Black Skirt Tetras: Bullying Or Schooling?

  • Thread starter

Myboimydudemyfish

Valued Member
Messages
53
Reaction score
12
Points
43
Experience
1 year
I got up today and saw this behavior (video below) which I’ve never seen happen in this tank. Are they bullying this fish or are they just schooling? The alpha of this school is sick so there hasn’t been much order in the group. Water was changed yesterday, there is no heater (it exploded, I have to get a new one). This is a 20 gallon tank with six BSTs and two red eyed tetras (the others died, the two remaining school with the black skirts). Also you’ll see my angelfish, Beard getting in the shot to say hello!

And before anyone says anything: yes, I know this tank is too small for an angelfish, especially a veil tailed one. I came home one night and my dad had the tank stocked with two angels (one died) and five red eyes! We agreed to get the biggest tank we could afford when we had space, Beard is still young and can swim around the tank comfortably. Nipping was an issue when he was tiny but now that he’s grown, the tetras ignore him!

Anyways, here’s the vid:
Pupper, birb, ect. on Instagram: “What they doing?!! #blackskirttetra #redeyedtetra #angelfish #20gallonaquarium #freshwateraquarium”
 

123

Valued Member
Messages
239
Reaction score
94
Points
38
Experience
Just started
I am sorry, I don’t think I can help. I just wanted to say you have beautiful fish and aquarium!!
 
  • Thread starter

Myboimydudemyfish

Valued Member
Messages
53
Reaction score
12
Points
43
Experience
1 year
Katarina said:
I am sorry, I don’t think I can help. I just wanted to say you have beautiful fish and aquarium!!
Thanks!
 

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Messages
6,897
Reaction score
4,907
Points
458
Experience
More than 10 years
Looks like males trying to breed with a female. Normal activity.
 
  • Thread starter

Myboimydudemyfish

Valued Member
Messages
53
Reaction score
12
Points
43
Experience
1 year
chromedome52 said:
Looks like males trying to breed with a female. Normal activity.
Oh wow! Didn’t know Snip was a girl!
 

Jetlagged

New Member
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Points
1
I'm having a similar problem. My tetras decided to gang up on my glofish. He seems to have one protector. This just started this morning after living together for months. I moved the decorations around so there wouldn't be teritorial issues. The tank is a little cloudy now. They are still chasing the glofish. I can't get the video to upload.
 
  • Thread starter

Myboimydudemyfish

Valued Member
Messages
53
Reaction score
12
Points
43
Experience
1 year
Jetlagged said:
I'm having a similar problem. My tetras decided to gang up on my glofish. He seems to have one protector. This just started this morning after living together for months. I moved the decorations around so there wouldn't be teritorial issues. The tank is a little cloudy now. They are still chasing the glofish. I can't get the video to upload.
Is the fish sick, small, or just weak? That usually causes bullying. Or it could be mating behavior like above person said.
 
Toggle Sidebar

New Threads

Similar Threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media





Top Bottom